deonb

Lulzbot TAZ 5 0.5mm extruder FFF?

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Does anybody have a 0.5mm TAZ 5 FFF that they can post? (Preferably for PLA, but ABS will do).

I tried to modify the stock 0.35mm myself, but it made such a mess that I don't know where to even start to fix it. :?

CompoundCarl

Re: Lulzbot TAZ 5 0.5mm extruder FFF?

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:10 am

I just changed the nozzle diameter to 0.5mm, then set the extrusion width to 0.6mm. You can also verify that the filament diameter on the Other tab is correct (you may want to measure yours to be sure). That worked pretty well as a starting point. I still had to adjust the extrusion multiplier slightly to prevent under-extrusion, but that's pretty common.

deonb

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:11 pm

I tried that but the print was unusable. On the bottom layer all the traces were spaced out by more than the trace width, and every trace lifted up around the sharp corners so that when the head comes around it dislodges the bottom layer. On Cura the bottom layer traces are almost solid next to each other and sticks every time.

But the estimation numbers are also way nonsensical:

The Cura estimate for my print is close to 5 hours with 197 layers, using 109gm. I know the Cura numbers are accurate - I've printed this out 9 times so far without problem and the final part weighs +- 110gm.
The Simplify 3D print estimate is 2 hours 55 minutes hours with 198 layers, using 117gm??

I don't know how Simplify 3D is planning to pull of that < 3 hour print, but whatever it's trying to do is not working well... I'm just trying to match my Cura settings to start off with.

Cura LHS vs. Simplify 3D RHS:
Nozzle Size: 0.5mm vs. 0.5mm
Layer Height: 0.38 vs. 0.3800mm
Shell thickness: 3mm vs. 9 layers
Bottom/Top thickness: 2mm vs. 6 layers+6 layers
Fill density: 40% vs. 40%
First layer width: 125% vs. 125%
Travel speed: 175mm/s vs. 4800mm/m (80mm/s)
Outer shell speed: 30mm/s vs. 50% of 3600mm/m = 30mm/s

All things being equal (more material, slower print speed, slower travel times), Simplify3D should print SLOWER than Cura, but for some reason it thinks it can print this 42% faster. Since it can't even finish the bottom layer, I can't verify this claim, but it's not looking good.

JoeJ

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:53 am

It is very common to need to adjust the first layer to make sure it is properly positioned. If that's the only issue, then I would recommend reading this link, as it explains most of the suggestions for that problem: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... to-the-bed

deonb

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:56 am

JoeJ wrote:It is very common to need to adjust the first layer to make sure it is properly positioned. If that's the only issue, then I would recommend reading this link, as it explains most of the suggestions for that problem: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... to-the-bed
Apart from the print speed issue (which I've checked), those are all print bed preparation suggestions. This is not a bed issue though - Cura works 100%. I just want Simplify3D to do whatever the heck it is that Cura is doing with all default settings.

dadoo

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:36 am

hi i have also a Lulzbot Taz 5 0.5mm extruder. Anyone have a FFF for this kind of nozzle size ? I'm using ABS. I tried to just replace 0.35 to 0.5 in settings but it doesn't works

ericez

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that I also just got a TAZ 5, with the STANDARD 0.5mm nozzle, with the included Cura it works just fine usually, but I haven't gotten a good print with Simplify3D yet. I emailed with my settings file and pictures of what it's doing and received back a totally canned response to do there Print quality troubleshooting guide which has been no help to me at all and didn't answer my questions.
Can the settings really be so far off?
How can you fix this?

CompoundCarl

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 am

If you guys want help from the members here, you're going to have to describe the problems more. Start with the stock TAZ 5 Dual profile and just set the extrusion width to auto and then enter the new nozzle diameter of 0.5mm for each extruder. Then post some pictures of your prints and describe what isn't working. Others on here are printing just fine with those settings, so you're gonna have to describe the problem a bit more.

May also help to post your factory file so others can re-create it easier

KC_703

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Here's a .5mm nozzle FFF for the TAZ5. Its really customized so I'm hesitant to post.

To use:
- Pick a Layer Height (LH) from the "Material" dropdown
- Then in the "Quality" dropdown, find the same LH and pick the SPEED

For best quality, choose low LH and low SPEED. For fast print, choose a taller LH and faster SPEED. The Z-offset and Brim/Skirt settings need to be reviewed for your print environment... reset to the Z-offset to zero, and adjust Brim/Skirt to your liking.

Hope it helps.
Attachments
TAZ5-N5_20151219_00.fff
(43.95 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”