Menissalt

Robo 3D Purge at Start

Why don't we have this? I haven't really seen anyone with this printer talking about purging to ensure a clean print, even though there's an active community, It's possible that I'm missing something but my prints are having issues because the filament isn't primed, purged, and the nozzle cleaned like on my PowerSpec.

I've worked with a member of the Robo 3D forums and so far I've come up with this:

Code: Select all

G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
G29 ; run auto-level
G1 E5; Extrude
G1 F1000 X5 E45; Move and Extrude
G1 E50; Extrude in place
G1 F5000 Y5; Move to Y5
G1 F1000 E55; Extrude in place
G1 X220 E95; Move and Extrude
G1 E100; Extrude in place
I was hoping someone here might be able to help fine tune this so I can get nice, clean starts on my prints. Right now this starts trying to extrude a line on both ends of the Y axis, but no filament comes out. I'm hoping for something that mimics how S3D primes and purges the PowerSpec. Any help is appreciated.
CompoundCarl

Re: Robo 3D Purge at Start

I just print a few skirt rings to prime the nozzle. Works fine and it's very easy to implement :D
KiLLiN-TiMe

 by CompoundCarl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:26 am

I just print a few skirt rings to prime the nozzle. Works fine and it's very easy to implement :D
Ditto,
I have a Da Vinci 1.0a and the factory firmware and software would always print a priming stripe on the right hand side of the bed at the beginning of the print.
After flashing and switching to S3D it wasn't doing that. So I started using the Skirt ring and it works great! I usually just run two passes, but I have this one filament that 3 seems to work better on.

Plus I like to watch how it's laying down and will make small bed level adjustments while it's doing it. :D

KT
Menissalt

I have it set to 6 rings, but I'm still getting junk stuck to the print head causing all sorts of issues. Ideally I'd like to have it print an anchor and then slowly extrude a straight line, lift, and then go to print.
KiLLiN-TiMe

I don't have your printer but I never have that issue.

You don't by chance have the print bed too high do you? Maybe your actually scrapping part of the previous line off the print bed and sticking it to your extruder.

I know on my printer there is a fine line between squishing the first layer and smashing it. You obviously want to squish it some so it will adhere to the bed, but if you smash it down it becomes so wide that it interferes with the lines beside it.

You also might want to play with how far you lift the print head between retractions.

Not sure, just a thought.

KT
Menissalt

I've done it! (sort of)

I can now successfully print an anchor that primes and cleans the print head before the start of each print. I want to modify it a bit, but here's what I've got so far:

Code: Select all

G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
M565 Z-0.57 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
G29 ; run auto-level
G1 Z0.5 F1200 ; lift
G1 X200 Y5 Z2 F5000 ; move to wait position in right corner
G1 Z0.4 ; position nozzle
G1 E25 F300 ; purge nozzle
M400 ; wait for purge to complete
G1 X25 F1200 ; slow wipe
G1 Z0.5 F1200 ; lift
I would like to have it continue extruding before the wipe, but this has already made a huge difference in my first layer, so excited about this!
KiLLiN-TiMe wrote:I don't have your printer but I never have that issue.

You don't by chance have the print bed too high do you? Maybe your actually scrapping part of the previous line off the print bed and sticking it to your extruder.

I know on my printer there is a fine line between squishing the first layer and smashing it. You obviously want to squish it some so it will adhere to the bed, but if you smash it down it becomes so wide that it interferes with the lines beside it.

You also might want to play with how far you lift the print head between retractions.

Not sure, just a thought.

KT
It's not too close, I've been dialing that down a bunch recently. The issue is the extruder not being primed and junk being stuck to my extruder that sticks to the filament as its laid down, which normally causes the print to form in to a ball. Filament sticks better to filament on the extruder than it does to the bed.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”