Ursadorable

When to [Update] Profile?

So it seems any changes I make to a "Process", marks the printer profile as (modified).

At what point should I be using the [Update] button on the profile, or should I?

This whole configuration thing seems kind of strange in S3D. I would expect a separate tab for printer default settings, and a separate tab for process settings. The process should override the printer settings in the profile.

If I update the printer profile, does it update the existing processes that rely on that same profile?

Sorry, S3D noob here, so I'm just trying to understand the strange config setup.
JoeJ

Re: When to [Update] Profile?

It's pretty much exactly what you said. Your default settings are the base profile. Then you can make changes on top of that using a process (and when you make a change, it will be marked as modified to remind you it is different than the base profile).

So you really only want to use the "update profile" button if you want to overwrite the stock settings for that printer profile.

This video also explains a lot of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7HFPY1wog
Ursadorable

Thank you for the info. Coming from Cura, you basically had some config file that contained your material, infill and quality settings, which to me I had originally thought was the 'processes' in S3D.

Is there a way to see what the config settings are for 'auto-material' and 'auto-quality' and how they interact with the settings?

For instance, I'd like to see what the difference the settings are for medium and high quality in ABS without having to go to each tab, and swap back and forth between the two quality settings and watch for changes?

I suppose I could export out the FFF profile and do a compare.
Fabface

I wonder if its just me or a bug or has to be like that, but as soon as I modify a parameter in the process settings the profile shows up as modified, which is fine for this specific part, however if I start with a new part (all empty, no process, no STL, nothing) and add a part and then a process the profile still shows up as modified - what sense does that make? I want to start a new process for a new part with my base settings, which I stored by using the update profile button - how can I reset the settings to whatever my base profile was, without modifications?

Edit: OK, I found a way - chose another profile and answer no to the question if you want to update the profile, then chose the other profile again...shouldnt be like that in my opinion, but works I guess.
CompoundCarl

Yup, that's exactly how it works. It will always remember your last settings. So if you add a new process, that new process will be added with the last settings that you had used. If those "last settings" were a modified version of one of your base profiles, then the new process will show up as "modified" as well.

If you want to go back to a base profile, then do exactly what you said. Use the "Select profile" drop down. Select any other profile (for example, the Default one), and choose No when it asks if you want to save your modified changes. Then switch back to the profile you want and the base version of that profile will be loaded (since you chose not to save the modified changes).
jlovett

Hi, my work has 4 Dremel 3D45 printers and I need to update the base profile to adjust the digital build plate size. It believes it is 6.29921" high when it's in fact just 6" and this has resulted in several failed prints when scaled to max height. Is there a way to fix this issue within the printer profile?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”