MisterToe
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Printing an odd shape.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:17 pm

I have posted some vague questions on this before but have yet to get the print working myself. In this post I will be including the factory file as well as the STL.

The prints I am getting have poor layer adhesion and I am uncertain how to correct this. I am using an Ultimaker 2 with a 1.6mm nozzle (though I have access to much smaller nozzles as well) I am printing the object lying flat with supports, the 'open' side is facing up.

Please take a look at these and give me some advice? I am much too new to 3D printing and never have the time during my day at work to figure out all the things I am surely doing wrong. :oops:

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
shoe_insert.stl
(935.14 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Support_test.fff
(23.13 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
I know, I know, I'm a noob.

CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:01 am

I would read the link below. It talks about the main reasons why layers wouldn't adhere together.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... -splitting

Fred B
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:42 am

What material are you trying to print with?

The link posted is a good starting point but I'm finding that material selection is just as important.

For what it's worth, when I need good layer adhesion PETG is my go to material.

MisterToe
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:32 am

CompoundCarl wrote:I would read the link below. It talks about the main reasons why layers wouldn't adhere together.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... -splitting

I've looked at this link before but unfortunately haven't been able to determine how any of it might help me with my issues. The current factory file I have linked is just the latest in many test profiles I have created for this object.

Thanks.
I know, I know, I'm a noob.

MisterToe
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 am

Fred B wrote:What material are you trying to print with?

The link posted is a good starting point but I'm finding that material selection is just as important.

For what it's worth, when I need good layer adhesion PETG is my go to material.
Currently I am using PLA. I am intending to move to a Nylon bridge once I can get the kinks worked out of my process. The other objects I normally print work fine, it's just this one that's causing me headaches.

Thanks.
I know, I know, I'm a noob.

Rebekah_harper
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 am

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm

hiya,

I had a look. it's an awkward shape that's for sure.
am not sure how you orientated it, but I set it flat as best as possible.

I noticed you haven't added any dense layers as part of you support structure. This may help more.

adding some inflation to spread it out a bit.

I've saved the factory file to show what I did.

hope this helps

Becky
Attachments
Support_test.fff
(449.93 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

seraph1M
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:07 am

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:28 am

hello Rebekah,

have you tried printing this on its edge? Without a surface contacting your build plate your surface finish and layer integrity is not going to be good. Like trying to print onto a layer of pins rather than a flat surface.

MisterToe
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: Printing an odd shape.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:32 am

Rebekah_harper wrote:hiya,

I had a look. it's an awkward shape that's for sure.
am not sure how you orientated it, but I set it flat as best as possible.

I noticed you haven't added any dense layers as part of you support structure. This may help more.

adding some inflation to spread it out a bit.

I've saved the factory file to show what I did.

hope this helps

Becky

Thanks a ton for taking a look. I am going to run it with your factory file and see how it works out. You rock.
I know, I know, I'm a noob.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”