CTGreybeard

Smooth top surface

I'm new to S3D but not to 3D printing in general but I wouldn't get close to calling myself an expert ... :roll:

My question has to do with adjusting the top surface of the model. Ideally I would like a smooth water-tight surface. I am actually trying to make a vacuum seal with the top surface but it doesn't need to be perfect, just as tight as I can get.

One thought I had would be to print the part upside down but that brings some other issues along that I would like to not have to work around.

Are there settings inside S3D that would affect the smoothness of the top surface? I'm working with PLA at the moment as the heated bed isn't quite available yet to work with ABS which might be a better choice.

I am using an M3D Micro and it's working extremely well with S3D. I use different software than the standard M3D software which probably helps. Microprint is a Mac program that I have helped develop, especially the ability for it to work with S3D GCode files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill W
CompoundCarl

Re: Smooth top surface

It would help a lot if you can post a picture of your top surface. There's plenty of settings that can affect it, but it's hard to recommend the right one without seeing the current results.

PS - there's also an amazing guide for these types of quality issues that S3D already created. It's worth reading: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/
CTGreybeard

Here are a couple of photos of the project.

Pic 1 are the two pieces I have printed so far. #1 is the one printed hole side up. #2 I changed slightly and then printed it upside down.
The two versions.
The two versions.
Pic 2 is detail near the hole. The surface is not smooth.
Part #1 top side detail
Part #1 top side detail
Pic 4 is detail from Part #2 in the same area. This was printed on the bottom in the printer.
Part #2 top side detail
Part #2 top side detail
The "bottom" surface is better but still leaks. I am thinking that ABS will do better because I can vapor smooth the piece. Maybe I can wax the PLA. I'll try that.
KiLLiN-TiMe

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you are under extruding. You shouldn't have gaps in your top surface. It looks like a plaid shirt.

Try changing your extrusion multiplier (its on the Extruder Tab) to 105 and run a test and see if that helps.

Also check how many top and bottom layers are you using? For .2mm prints I like to use 3 top and bottom layers, for .1mm I like to use 5 top and bottom layers.

HTH
KT

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”