czbruin

2 color printing and splitting a model into two

I just upgraded from an M3D and got a FlashForge Creator Pro. I want to start learning how to print to colored pieces but am having trouble with the dual extruded wizard. I know that you need to have 2 STL files and to designate one file one color and the other another color. I've watched the tutorial on Simplify3Ds web channel. What I am having difficulty figuring out is how to split an object that is an STL file into two pieces to designate different colors. For example, I created a keychain with writing on it through a customizer on Thingiverse. How do I split the tag horizontally in half so that the bottom is printed in black, and the lettering is printed in silver? I feel like this should be easy to do but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Do I need another program other than Simplify3D? I couldn't quite figure it out in Tinkercad. I know this has to be relatively easy, but I just need help getting over that hump. Thanks in advance for reading this!
CompoundCarl

Re: 2 color printing and splitting a model into two

If you're just trying dual extrusion printing for the first time, I would recommend starting with a model that is already properly setup for dual extrusion. There are plenty on thingiverse. They will already include 2 STL files (one for each color).

Here's a quick and easy one to test with: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:124450/#files
magicwiser

I agree with the previous post. To really take advantage of the dual extruders, you need to design your model in pieces. However, for your keychain, that can be accomplished fairly easily within S3D. You need to create two different processes, one for the bottom part and one for the top part. Configure all the options for each part (layer height, extruder, etc). Then, in the advanced tab use the 'Start printing at:' and "Stop printing at:' options to control which portion is which. For example, if the base is 3 mm thick, the bottom process should stop printing at 3 mm and the top process should start printing at 3 mm.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I can clarify.

I have attached a factory file of a print I made last week where I did this exact thing as an example. Check out the advanced tab...
Attachments
Calibrate.factory
Example
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
RomeFallsAgain

magicwiser wrote:I agree with the previous post. To really take advantage of the dual extruders, you need to design your model in pieces. However, for your keychain, that can be accomplished fairly easily within S3D. You need to create two different processes, one for the bottom part and one for the top part. Configure all the options for each part (layer height, extruder, etc). Then, in the advanced tab use the 'Start printing at:' and "Stop printing at:' options to control which portion is which. For example, if the base is 3 mm thick, the bottom process should stop printing at 3 mm and the top process should start printing at 3 mm.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I can clarify.

I have attached a factory file of a print I made last week where I did this exact thing as an example. Check out the advanced tab...
Do you prefer to create Duel Extrusion prints with or without using the "Dual Extrusion Wizard" in the software?
I have never been able to get a successful print using the wizard
CompoundCarl

Pretty much everyone I have talked to who owns the software uses the dual extrusion wizard. So if it isn't working for you, you might want to go make a separate post about that.
magicwiser

RomeFallsAgain wrote:
Do you prefer to create Duel Extrusion prints with or without using the "Dual Extrusion Wizard" in the software?
I have never been able to get a successful print using the wizard
If it is a simple print where the top is one color and the bottom is another color then I don't bother using the wizard. However, anything more complicated and I do. It has always worked fine for me.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”