mroek

Release cycle of S3D

For the long-time users out there, how often does S3D release a new version? The current version was released in early September (I think), so it is getting a few months old, and there are lots of improvements and features for them to work on (ref all the excellent suggestions on this forum).

Many software packages have more frequent releases than this, it's not as if it is necessary to grow a big list of improvements and fixes before releasing a new version. I'd rather prefer more incremental versions, as soon as a few new features are ready and tested, do a release.
jimc

Re: Release cycle of S3D

over the past 3 years it has been a major version release each year and 2-3 minor ones during the year. basically 3-4 months. this last version has been out a little longer than usual. when 3.0 came out it did have a few more bugs than normal BUT it was a real major release and revamp. i would assume working out some of the issues is going to take longer.
dsegel

mroek wrote:Many software packages have more frequent releases than this...
Most commercial software packages have a release once or twice a year at MOST. What software are you thinking of that releases more frequently than quarterly?
andcorptech

dsegel wrote:
mroek wrote:Many software packages have more frequent releases than this...
Most commercial software packages have a release once or twice a year at MOST. What software are you thinking of that releases more frequently than quarterly?
Well I can think of many....Windows, Office, Adobe Products, Autodesk , Corel ......shall I go on. These are usually Minor version updates, but updates nonetheless. In the 3D printing world right now there are many new printers out there going through a constant developing firmware environment, making changes which break and change things. It would not hurt to put out minor version updates more regularly than S3D do, just scouring the forums there are many issues which need fixing. The problem I am having with the Dreamer connection I have been told will be fixed in the next update....I was told this when I purchased it last year, and still waiting for that update.

Having said that, people complain about the $150 price on S3D.....which given the results it gets in comparison to most stock slicers that are implemented in manufacturer software is very little cost at all. I will be sticking with S3D no matter what their update cycle is.
mroek

I'm not bashing S3D here, and I do not for one second regret spending the money on it. It's just that even if it is very good, there are a lot of things for them to improve, some of them so simple that it can probably be done by a developer in 15 minutes. A recent example is the request (by someone on this forum) to have the layer number displayed even if one has changed to line mode during preview. Such small updates could easily be pushed more often.

There is no reason commercial products should restrict the update frequency just because they're commercial. Quite the contrary, I'd say. After all, they have hired developers that (presumably) work on the product continually.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”