3dPrinted4u

Pause at height?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Ok, so we get how you can stop at height, but is there a way to PAUSE the print, home X, and wait for the user to click a button or something before resuming? We really don't want to have to type M0 into the Gcode, so could you help us out? Thanks!

KiLLiN-TiMe

Re: Pause at height?

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 pm

The best way is to use a post process script on the scripts tab like this.
{REPLACE "; layer 50\n" "; layer 50\nM0\n"}
This would pause the printer at the 50th layer.

I have a profile that I saved, I call "print with pause" that I use when I want to pause my printer at a certain layer, in my case this is usually to swap the color of filament. I will figure out what layer I want my pause and then go into the script and modify just those couple of digits. Just change the 50's to the layer number you want to pause at.

Now, if you want to move the print head out of the way before it pauses then you would want your script to look like this...
{REPLACE "; layer 50\n" "; layer 50\nG28 XY\nM0\n"}

So you understand, the replace function will find the text in your gcode that says "layer 50" and then it will replace it with "layer 50" Home the "X" and "Y" axis and then "pause".

So what looked like this in your gcode...

Layer 50

Will now look like this....

Layer 50
G28 X Y
M0

And so you know, the little "n" means new line in you script. If you don't include them it will put all of your gcode script on the same line.

And yes you will have to press something to make the print continue. If your printing from your computer Simplify 3d will pop up and tell you it has paused and you need to click resume to continue.

HTH
KT

shorty606

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:44 am

This is just what I'm looking for.
When you press resume I take it it returns to where it was, I assume it just reads the next command and repositions? Does this keep the print head heated? I'm planning to print something where I have to insert 4 or 5 pieces which could take some time.

CompoundCarl

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 am

Yes, it will keep the head heated.

mroek

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 am

I just looked at this, and it didn't work. Upon investigation, I found that S3D appended more text to the layer comment line, e.g:

; layer 49, Z = 12.225

As you can see, it added the Z-height as well, which causes the REPLACE command to fail, since that expects a newline where the comma is in my example.

Are there any wildcards to use in the REPLACE command? I can't find any proper documentation for the available commands from S3D themselves, which is not really acceptable.

CompoundCarl

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:40 am

All those commands are documented here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

I don't see anything about wildcards, so I would say no.

SimpleScott

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:06 pm

@mroek - Take a look at the first couple of posts in the following thread and see if the Search/Replace syntax there helps.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3455

mroek

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 am

@SimpleScott Unfortunately, there is nothing in that thread about wildcard searching. As I wrote, the issue is that the REPLACE command seems to need the full source text to replace, so you can't just use the layer number in the command. The given example in that thread shouldn't really work either, but perhaps S3D doesn't add the additional Z-height text for all printers.

CompoundCarl

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 am

If there's nothing about a wildcard, then is probably doesn't exist ;)

mroek

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 am

I just heard back from S3D support, and there is no wildcard, and there are no other commands than those in the sticky post.

The lack of wildcard support just means that it is probably better to do the post-processing in a separate application that actually can handle proper search and replace.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”