airlid

File extension

Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Where do you define the file extension, I found it once now I can't. Help

Thanks

CompoundCarl

Re: File extension

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:29 am

What file extension do you want? I think it already uses the standard file extension for most file formats..

airlid

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:30 am

CompoundCarl wrote:What file extension do you want? I think it already uses the standard file extension for most file formats..
I want the system to default to the extension for my printer so that I don't have to manually change it each time I save a file.

CompoundCarl

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 am

What file extension does your printer use? For example .x3g? .gcode?

airlid

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:11 pm

CompoundCarl wrote:What file extension does your printer use? For example .x3g? .gcode?
.g3drem

CompoundCarl

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 am

The stock profile for the Dremel printer already exports files using the .g3drem extension. So just use the stock profile as provided by S3D (you can re-download it by going back to Help > Configuration Assistant)

airlid

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:49 am

CompoundCarl wrote:The stock profile for the Dremel printer already exports files using the .g3drem extension. So just use the stock profile as provided by S3D (you can re-download it by going back to Help > Configuration Assistant)
Actually, It defaults to .gcode which I have to change every time I save a file, which is why I asked "how do I change the default"?

CompoundCarl

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Their stock profile saves as .g3drem. I'm using it right now. If you modified their stock profile, it's possible you changed that, so that's why I recommended re-downloading it.

One other thing to note - when you click "Save Toolpaths to Disk", it may prompt you with a name that ends in .gcode, but it will get automatically converted to a .g3drem when you actually save it. This is the same with many other file formats too. Some even export both the .gcode file along with the final file format so that you can keep both for reference (this is mostly used for binary files, since the final binary file is pretty much unreadable).

andcorptech

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 pm

CompoundCarl wrote:Their stock profile saves as .g3drem. I'm using it right now. If you modified their stock profile, it's possible you changed that, so that's why I recommended re-downloading it.

One other thing to note - when you click "Save Toolpaths to Disk", it may prompt you with a name that ends in .gcode, but it will get automatically converted to a .g3drem when you actually save it. This is the same with many other file formats too. Some even export both the .gcode file along with the final file format so that you can keep both for reference (this is mostly used for binary files, since the final binary file is pretty much unreadable).
This is not the case for me, I have a dreamer which reads *.g not *.gcode, and when i save the file it always saves as .gcode unless i manually change it. Im using the stock Dreamer profile so it may be that it is set incorrectly ?? .I wish there was a place in options to specify a default save extension.... its not major but would be nice.

CompoundCarl

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 am

The dreamer reads .gcode and .g, You can save either one, there's no difference.

If it's really bugging you, just put the following line in your "additional commands for post-processing" script:

Code: Select all

{EXTENSION "g"}

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”