rv_el

Variable Infill workflow.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:45 pm

I bought Simplify3d and have been getting some good prints out of my Makerbot 2. So that is great. This is the first time I've cared about doing stuff with supports in a long time too.

When I talked to my coworkers about 3d printing and Simplify3d came up one of the guys said "You can print with different infills on different parts" and I swear he said that you "paint a heat map" to do this. He said you can paint where you want the model to be solid or "Say where you want the model to be solid" or something like that. I got excited about this because I have some dragon heads I print and the horns like to snap off. And some of these "spikes" or "horns" are in the middle of the model. Not just up at the top. I can have a bunch of these little guys poking out all over the place. The creatures jaw, teeth, ear area, nose, and chin are all subject to spikey bits that might break.

So is this possible? If not, was he talking about another piece of software? If so I would like to know what program could do this.
If Simplify3d can't then I suppose this is a feature request!

So far all I've seen is a video using a method for creating multiple processes at different heights. The video is great and perhaps useful for a few things but for some thing like a Dragon head with tons of little spikes around him it wouldn't work too well.

Thanks

CompoundCarl

Re: Variable Infill workflow.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:41 am

Just break up the model into separate STL files. For example separate the horns so that those are separate STL files. Then you can assign different processes to each part.

There's lots of free software that can break up the model, or you can do it in the original CAD package

Fred B

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:06 am

Perhaps not the best solution to your problem but here's a suggestion.

Set the number of perimeters up to a point where small features are printed solid. For instance with a .5mm tip width and 5 perimeters you 100% fill a 2.5mm feature. This will increase the shell thickness over the whole part but your horns won't fall off.

I would do this before I cut the model after and assembled after printing.

If you still have problems with parts breaking off you may want to look at material choice and print speeds. Unfortunately, some prints take longer to print if you want a durable part.

rv_el

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am

Fred B wrote:Perhaps not the best solution to your problem but here's a suggestion.

Set the number of perimeters up to a point where small features are printed solid. For instance with a .5mm tip width and 5 perimeters you 100% fill a 2.5mm feature. This will increase the shell thickness over the whole part but your horns won't fall off.

I would do this before I cut the model after and assembled after printing.

If you still have problems with parts breaking off you may want to look at material choice and print speeds. Unfortunately, some prints take longer to print if you want a durable part.

Ah that is a pretty cool idea about thicker shell. Thanks guys. It's kind of a common problem.

Heh, one time my friend said he was going through airtport security with a 3d print I had painted up and gave him as a gift and the guy came over with a little stick thing and prodded at it and instantly snapped one of the small horns on the minotaur creature. If you keep the piece though you can kinda fill it in with stuff and glue it back on and touch up.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”