Rassilon50

CubePro Quality for small parts

Hi,

Been playing around with the software for the CubePro and putting some test prints through. Undoubtedly it's far better than the native software but I'm having an issue with the simple print.

I've been looking at the tutorials and quality pages etc but still trying to get my head around all the settings and tweaking necessary but am definitely willing to learn and figure stuff out.

I've been printing the "Marvin" figure and as you can see from the images the print in general is much better until it gets to the top. The hook comes out all mushed, and when I have attempted to slow down the printing speed, it just seems to mush even more.

Not quite sure what to do, or what to attempt to tweak. I know when the CubePro software prints, it'll leave a good few seconds cool down between layers. Is there a feature in the Simplify3D software that'll do the same thing? If so, please let me know!

Any help / advice that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

The images are CubePro vs Simplify3D Version (white ABS) and just the hook on its own attempt in Magenta ABS.
Attachments
CubePro Vs Simplify3D
CubePro Vs Simplify3D
zemlin

Re: CubePro Quality for small parts

On the Cooling tab there are two options you should look at.
One is the speed overrides which will slow down printing on small print areas.
The other is the fan overrides which will speed up the fan on small print areas.
Both of those would help the overheating issues you're seeing.
ReneeCelDesigns

Hi,

Your want to do 3 things,

- slow down the print at that section. Like comment above.

- increase fan speed for that section. Like comment above.

- and reduce the temperature. This can be done by adding a process. Set the first process to stop at 10mm. Then go into the second process and make it start printing at 10mm (in this second process reduction the extrusion temp down by 10 or more degrees.

Try this and see if it helps.
MichaelHerron

Rassilon50 wrote:Hi,

Been playing around with the software for the CubePro and putting some test prints through. Undoubtedly it's far better than the native software but I'm having an issue with the simple print.

I've been looking at the tutorials and quality pages etc but still trying to get my head around all the settings and tweaking necessary but am definitely willing to learn and figure stuff out.

I've been printing the "Marvin" figure and as you can see from the images the print in general is much better until it gets to the top. The hook comes out all mushed, and when I have attempted to slow down the printing speed, it just seems to mush even more.

Not quite sure what to do, or what to attempt to tweak. I know when the CubePro software prints, it'll leave a good few seconds cool down between layers. Is there a feature in the Simplify3D software that'll do the same thing? If so, please let me know!

Any help / advice that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

The images are CubePro vs Simplify3D Version (white ABS) and just the hook on its own attempt in Magenta ABS.
Unless a triggered script action is available (tool change, etc) there really isn't anything you can do with this printer. you cannot slow the print down because you cannot slow the extrusion rate accordingly. your best bet is to print multiple martians. this will move the hot nozzle off the small area while it prints the other. If you arrange them in the Y-axis on the print bed, the fans will also cool the area of the "other" martian while it prints the current layer.
Rassilon50

Hey,
Thanks for all your suggestions.

So I've been doing some playing but sadly not much success.

I'm currently only trying to print the top, on the part that isnt working.

I've slowed the print speed, increased the fan, lowered the temperature. I've also been trying to play with the Extrusion Multiplier but to no success.

I've attached screen shots of my settings and a pic of the parts.

Any more ideas? thanks guys!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 14.28.54.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 14.29.11.png
DSC_0053 1(small).jpg
Rassilon50

And this one.
Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 14.28.36.png
Rassilon50

MichaelHerron wrote: Unless a triggered script action is available (tool change, etc) there really isn't anything you can do with this printer. you cannot slow the print down because you cannot slow the extrusion rate accordingly. your best bet is to print multiple martians. this will move the hot nozzle off the small area while it prints the other. If you arrange them in the Y-axis on the print bed, the fans will also cool the area of the "other" martian while it prints the current layer.
Ah right I see. Is there a reason for that?

I was wondering why the prints made little difference when changing the extrusion multiplier?

Thanks
MichaelHerron

Rassilon50 wrote:
MichaelHerron wrote: Unless a triggered script action is available (tool change, etc) there really isn't anything you can do with this printer. you cannot slow the print down because you cannot slow the extrusion rate accordingly. your best bet is to print multiple martians. this will move the hot nozzle off the small area while it prints the other. If you arrange them in the Y-axis on the print bed, the fans will also cool the area of the "other" martian while it prints the current layer.
Ah right I see. Is there a reason for that?

I was wondering why the prints made little difference when changing the extrusion multiplier?

Thanks
Yes--Simplify3D does not directly support "BFB" printers. It was made to work in a nominal fashion thru the hard work of many in this forum. The extrusion rate is set in the startup script (or other scripts) with the M108 SXX command, and is constant until another M108 command is issued. Simplify will not automatically issue this. More modern 3D printer firmware can adjust the extrusion rate automatically based on move speed. Sadly, this beast cannot.

your choice is to either manually insert the command into the BFB file before you encode it, or just print multiples of small parts. (I use this technique all the time--even on other much more capable printers)

FYI--the extrusion rate setting has no effect for this printer. Only the M108 command in the scripts has an effect on extrusion rate.
Rassilon50

Ok thats cool, Cheers Michael, you've been very helpful.

Yeah you guy's have done a lot of work with it all, the printer is far better. I'll tinker with settings etc for a different extrusion rate for the ultra resolution stuff.

Thanks again.
cliffoco

I am about to buy the software for my cubepro, does it work right out of box or do I need to config some stuff? Just wish CubePro wasn't so stupid there shooting them self in the foot.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”