CompoundCarl

Re: CubePro Quality for small parts

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:03 am

cliffoco wrote:I am about to buy the software for my cubepro, does it work right out of box or do I need to config some stuff? Just wish CubePro wasn't so stupid there shooting them self in the foot.
I didn't have to do anything but import the profile from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3113

martinl

Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:52 pm

HI Rassilon50,

I was trying to PM you but it looks like I need more posts on here to do so. Anyway, I want to pick your brain a little as I have a Cube3 and wanted to use Simplify3D instead of the proprietary software that comes with the Cube3.

What I'm wondering is if Simplify 3D creates a .cubepro file for you... and then i'm wondering if that file is renamed to .cube3 if it will work in my printer? If so, then there may be a path for me to explore here. I have a hunch they use the same file structure just different extensions.

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

MichaelHerron

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:24 pm

martinl wrote:HI Rassilon50,

I was trying to PM you but it looks like I need more posts on here to do so. Anyway, I want to pick your brain a little as I have a Cube3 and wanted to use Simplify3D instead of the proprietary software that comes with the Cube3.

What I'm wondering is if Simplify 3D creates a .cubepro file for you... and then i'm wondering if that file is renamed to .cube3 if it will work in my printer? If so, then there may be a path for me to explore here. I have a hunch they use the same file structure just different extensions.

Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Unless you are trying to solve a specific problem, stick with the stock software. Simplify is vastly better--no question about it, but unless you NEED it to be better, using other software is a process.
1--you need an additional program (windows only, afaik) called CODEX. This converts the gcode to a proprietary binary format. it is NOT simply renaming the file.
2--Simplify cannot control extrusion rates or destring settings. These are hardware functions on this printer. The critical element here is that extrusion rates don't automatically change when you change speeds. This means that you must print at a constant speed. (first layer settings, bridging settings, different infill speeds all must be 100% or close to 100%)
3--Because simplify creates the g-code for a "normal" printer, then must go through a huge amount of post processing, it is a bit slow to output a BFB file that you can use. Then you must run it thru CODEX to change it into a .cube3 file. This also takes a bit of time.

If you are having issues with hollow walls, poor dimensional accuracy, or just need more control over supports and infill, Simplify is a huge improvement. It is, however, not a drop-in replacement and has its limitiations.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”