int3man

FlashForge ABS on Borosilicate Glass Won't Stick

Hi all,
My Blue cover for my bed tore so I went online and the latest and greatest thing was borosilicate glass. So I purchased some. I printed the offset shim prior to ordering so I was good to go. Well the Glass was 3mm and the shim 5mm. O,K, So I made a spacer for the limit switch and tried to print the correct thickness shim. I have tried 2 types of Elmer's Glue stick and still the ABS just comes off and get stuck on the nozzle, leaving my 3 D printer as a brick. I tried the Blue painters tape with out glue and had the same effect.

Thanks Frustrated!!!
ConKBot

Re: FlashForge ABS on Borosilicate Glass Won't Stick

What color of FF ABS? I have a few rolls from them, and their black filament is... less than ideal. Stiff, brittle, poor fusion to itself compared to other brands and other colors from FF. I always suggest people get settings dialed in with anything but black or white filament, then tweak the settings further for black and white filament. Both need a lot of colorant/dye/pigment and the cheaper stuff can be more problematic. I cant comment on the glass print surface, as I use kapton sheet right on the aluminum bed.

However, that being said, are you sure your bed temps are right? The surface of the glass will be colder than the programmed temperature so you might have to up the bed temperature. Use a temp probe or put a piece of painters tape on the glass if you want to use an IR 'laser' thermometer to make sure that reads right, or just trial and error. For ABS I use ~115C for the first layer then back off to 110C. Once its cool the part is just sitting on the bed, no longer attached. From what I hear glue stick should give the same result. Also, are you using a raft? The big wide generous extrusion the first layer of the raft puts down should stick more easily then raft-less.
int3man

Found an Online video that shows Elmers Purple washable. I'll try that today. It was from a user on this forum.
giantpune

I have that same printer and glass. I'm having good results with ABS juice. Ive read from others that the superhold unscented aquanet hairspray works great.
Gnikeimaj

There are many things people have used to get ABS to stick to glass. One thing you could try is Aquanet Hairspray. Make sure if you use hairspray that you remove the glass from the bed before spraying it so that you don't gunk up any internals. Also you could try using ABS juice as mentioned. To make it just mix scrap ABS parts with Acetone until it forms a liquid paste.
MichaelHerron

Assuming you're level, it just sounds like you're too far away from the bed.

This may sound like a broken record, but make sure your print bed is level and spaced appropriately from the nozzle.

If you've verified that the bed is level, try subtracting .1mm from the "Z axis offset" in the GCODE tab--its ok to go negative here.
tpete61

If you live in the US try the Aquanet as someone else mentioned. It's cheap and simple to apply.
It works well for me. I've tried the glue stick but never liked that it leaves somewhat of an uneven surface on the print bed.
I sometimes can use the layer of Aquanet for a number of prints before I need to clean it off and re-spray the bed.
It comes of easily with rubbing alcohol.
danielhenley

If you use hairspray make sure you spray 3-4 initial layers, letting it dry between. You won't need to use so much in subsequent preps, but you need to get a good base coating of hairspray on there.

I use the purple-bottle aquanet.
int3man

Purple Elmers works Great. Now to calibrate!
PinballGeorgio

Use kapton tape, with acetone cleaned. The most perfect adhesive, also when using PLA

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”