scampa

Dual Extrusion 2 Different filaments, 2 separate objects

I've been trying to figure out if it is possible to use my dual extrusion (Makergear M2) which is using PETG and PLA to print 2 separate items during the same print job.

In other words, I'd like to print a calibration square from each extruder during the same print job.

Tool-0 is PLA , Tool-1 is PETG...I'd like to print a calibration square for each...

I've been successful doing single print jobs: 1 PETG calibration square and then another print job for 1 PLA calibration square.
I've also been able to do a PETG print with PLA support..

I tried looking through the forums but I cannot find a similar discussion on printing two items with two different filaments separately during the same print...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-S
CompoundCarl

Re: Dual Extrusion 2 Different filaments, 2 separate objects

It depends on what you mean by "simultaneously". If you mean that both nozzles are actually extruding at the exact same time, then no, you can't. That's not supported in the firmware. If you mean that you want both parts to be printed on the bed at the same time, with the nozzle printing on after another and moving back and forth between them, then yes, you can do that using the dual extrusion wizard or multiple processes.
scampa

I tried using 2 processes, but what I notice is that the 2nd extruder never gets primed and then doesn't really print properly....

So two processes seems like it would work but it doesn't seem to setup the extruders properly...The tool0 extruder gets primed in the beginning but that is it.

I haven't tried the Wizard yet...maybe that will help??
scampa

The Wizard expects the same type of filament for both extruders, so this doesn't do what I am looking for either....

I'd like to print an object with the left extruder in PLA and an object in the right extruder in PETG. I don't need them to print simultaneously, but would like them both be printed in the same print job...So maybe the printjob first does the print in PLA, then does the print in PETG...

Using two different processes almost gets me there, however when it goes to print the second object it doesn't prime the second extruder..It simply attempts to continue printing and that won't work well...

What it should ideally do is when there are multiple process using different extruders in the same print, then it should set the codes in the gcode BEFORE printing the object with the unused extruder to prime and wipe before starting that print...
beerdart

Script to prime both at the start you may have to alter the X Y to match your printer this is for and 8" build plate.

G28 ; Home all axes
T0 ; Switch to right extruder
G1 X3 Y170 Z.3 ; Position for purge
G92 E0 ; Reset extruder
G1 X180 E25 F1000 ; Purge right nozzle
T1 ; Switch to left extruder
G1 X180 Y172 Z.3 ; Position for purge
G92 E0 ; Reset extruder
G1 X27 E25 F1000 ; Purge left nozzle
G1 Y160 Z1.0 F100 ; Slow wipe
scampa

So are you saying I should modify the gcode before sending to my printer?

At the point when you select both processes to print, they already have their start code...

...but this is interesting because I assume S3D is stripping off the startup code from the second extruder when selecting multiple processes to print. Maybe if I can determine which startup code it's using, then maybe I can put it in that code.
beerdart

It uses the start code for whatever extruder is layer 1.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”