travis

ABS parts have ripples in lower layers, smooth out at top

Tue May 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Hey Folks,

New to the forum, just recently got into 3D printing. Still working the bugs out.

I've tackled a bunch of issues so far, but I haven't been able to solve this one:

Printer: Flashforge Creator Pro
Print Temp: 230
Heated bed temp: 110
Material: ABS
Bed prep: ABS slurry
Print speed: 2400mm/min

If you look at the attached pic, you'll see that the lower levels are imperfect, but they eventually level out. As I print I can see that the back corners curl up a little, and I suspect that curl throws the layer height off and causes the imperfections...not 100% sure though. The part is NOT curling right off of the print bed, the bottom layer stays firmly in place. However, for some reason after the bottom few layers are printed, those two back corners always start to curl up.

Any insight? I was thinking it might be because they are modeled as sharp corners, and it could be creating a stress-riser? Or perhaps the fact that the bottom surface has a filleted edge is causing the layers to curl because they are not fully supported? Heating/cooling issue? Sign of the apocalypse? Whatever the case, I feel like my printer should be capable of printing parts without this defect, so it must be something that I'm doing wrong.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis
Attachments
ABS defect.jpg

CompoundCarl

Re: ABS parts have ripples in lower layers, smooth out at to

Sat May 21, 2016 9:48 am

You can still get curling sometimes just from overheating. The plastic doesn't cool quick enough so it starts to curl. Then that will affect the layers above it and you'll see the different deformed layer outlines.

So you might want to try more cooling and see if it helps reduce the curling

travis

Mon May 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for the insight.

So do you think I should turn my fan up, my nozzle temp down, or perhaps both? I'll play around with it.

wiganite

Mon May 23, 2016 3:47 pm

The part looks quite small, have you tried printing 2 spaced at either side of the bed? Which would give it time to cool before moving to the next layer.

I did have a very similar looking problem on my flashforge, but I think it was down to me messing around with the settings. I reset simplify3d back to default and used the configuration wizard to set up again. The next print with the standard flashforge profile was perfect. You could try that, after backing up your settings first if you want to keep them.

Regards

JasonA

Tue May 24, 2016 12:48 pm

I've been printing ABS for a LOOOONG time, and I'll let you know some tricks that has helped me and my journeys... I have both the original Creator (wooden) and the CreatorPro..

1. ABS loves to warp, print on glass and keep it HOT! (110*).. don't use that junk blue vinyl stuff that came with the FFCP... no one uses it. Glass or Kapton tape is king!

2. Aqua Net Super Hold Hair Spray ($3-$4 at your local store) .. lightly dust it on the glass when cool.. then get it up to 110*... that ABS is going to STICK!

3. in the temp settings, make Bed 110* and layer 1, then layer 5 105*, layer 15, 100*, layer 20/95* and that's it...

ABS warps or curls because the layers on top of it are cooler. Lowering the bed some as you print up keeps the warping down.

If you don't want to do the glass right now.. at least lower your bed temp in the stages and that will help...

I've printed the whole entire bed area in ABS with no warping.. just need to lower the bed. ;)

Let us know!
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
10kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!! + 3kw SW panels string tie.
I fly drones and R/C.
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO - 2015 Tesla 70d (Model 3 on deposit) 8-)

danielhenley

Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 pm

I agree that your bed temp is too high. Keep it at 110 for the first layer and then lower it to 90 for the rest.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”