mrwesty

What causes these missing lines?

splitbox.jpg
So I am trying to print a basic box for a control plate in ABS.
I have 3 issues:
-Missing lines of filament..... (mysterious pattern)
-Splitting ... (too low temp?)
-Warping ...(
So the missing filament is one I can't understand and would appreciate help with.
If you look at the bottom of the box, some of the lines of filament are not getting laid down. It appears to be a pattern. It is supposed to be solid, and appears that way in s3d when I prepare to print, but doesn't actually lay it down that way... again, its not a random miss, it appears to be a pattern that is not the same as the preview.
Any clues? Is it something to do with an equation of width or something? Any help or clue would be appreciated, first time i have come across something not coming out the way it looks on screen.
As far as the splitting goes, I will try again, at a higher temp.... this one was ABS at 230, but a little research i did said I should go up to 260.... ?
I am ok printing in PLA, but finding ABS is tougher... This box is also warping a little off the bed in the corners.... print bed is 110, reduced to 85 after 10 layers.
Would welcome feedback on these settings to help minimise warping.
I'm using a flashforge creator pro dual head printer, and trying to print with the roll of ABS that came in the box.
Not sure how to post my settings, perhaps that would be a good feature of the software in future... the ability to capture and post settings somehow?
Thank you in advance if you are able to help...:)
CompoundCarl

Re: What causes these missing lines?

Probably just a temporary extruder clog. At least that's usually the culprit when I see something like that on my printers
Rebekah_harper

looks like splitting to me. not missing lines

periodically I have that with ABS.

an enclosed chamber is essential.

I print ABS 3mm at about 250 deg and it works well.

the print bed is set a 100 deg and use buildtak on the print bed. I always use a raft as I found getting the part of is easier than if I don't use it.

if you save your part as a Factory file you can post that and it will contain the settings for any one to look at
mrwesty

CompoundCarl wrote:Probably just a temporary extruder clog. At least that's usually the culprit when I see something like that on my printers
Thanks for the reply. Its a pattern. If you look at the pic, on the inside of the bottom of the box, lines get missed in a pattern... that surface is supposed to be a solid surface, but its all crisscrossed, as each of those layers that builds that area up are perpendicular to each other, and on each layer they miss lines. In a pattern. A clog would be random. It appears to be printing well otherwise at that point, I thought it might be something to do with overlap or something, but couldnt figure it out. Anyways, I fooled around with the file, and for no apparent reason it now prints that part nicely, no gaps. Still no clue as to why...lol
Now if I can get it to stop curling up and splitting....:(
mrwesty

Rebekah_harper wrote:looks like splitting to me. not missing lines

periodically I have that with ABS.

an enclosed chamber is essential.

I print ABS 3mm at about 250 deg and it works well.

the print bed is set a 100 deg and use buildtak on the print bed. I always use a raft as I found getting the part of is easier than if I don't use it.

if you save your part as a Factory file you can post that and it will contain the settings for any one to look at
Thanks for the reply. I have a flashforge with a cover, but I think I am going to attempt to cover it even more, and print a really high skirt as my next test.
I also found going higher temp, (255) was better also, so agree there...:)
Also adding ears to the edges to help hold it down is on the list.
Thanks again.
Rebekah_harper

hiya,

for the ears to the base I'd suggest just make a disc 0.2 - 0.5 mm thick. save as stl.

Import it and copy as many as you need. then place them. a double click on the disc will allow you to resize it. thinner/thicker/bigger or even make it oval to suit.

I did this before I started using buildtak.

are you using cooling? if so, don't. it can cause the issue too.

hope this helps

Becky
MichaelHerron

Rebekah_harper wrote:hiya,

for the ears to the base I'd suggest just make a disc 0.2 - 0.5 mm thick. save as stl.

Import it and copy as many as you need. then place them. a double click on the disc will allow you to resize it. thinner/thicker/bigger or even make it oval to suit.

I did this before I started using buildtak.

are you using cooling? if so, don't. it can cause the issue too.

hope this helps

Becky
Posting your factory file should allow us to analyze whats going on..
The bottom pattern appears to be underfilled. Either your extrusion multiplier is set too low, or your extrusion/nozzle width is set incorrectly. Defaults for extrusion and nozzle width should be .4mm, while extrusion multiplyer will likely be .95-1.0

Sometimes I get missing lines due to the unused nozzle dragging thru the part. Make sure this isn't happening, too.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”