t2k3d

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Dual Extrusion Alignment

I have read various bits and pieces on how to make Inventor STLs align properly within Simplify3D. None of them seem to have a direct solution that I can reproduce.

When 2 solid bodies are created in an Inventor part file and then exported separately to STL files, the seem to lose their coordinates in relation to each other. When they are brought into Simplify, it pretty much an only center them.

Does anyone know of a way in Inventor 2015 to correctly export the STL files so that they keep their original coordinates in relation to one another?

Thanks
pcman

Re: Autodesk Inventor 2015 Dual Extrusion Alignment

With your individual bodies imported into S3D, ensure they are all selected (Ctrl-A) then from S3D's edit menu, choose 'Align Selected Model Origins'. Once aligned, you might also want to group them with Ctrl-G so you can manipulate their position and size as a single object.

I do this all the time. If that still doesn't work for you, it could be a problem with Inventor's export settings. If so, let me know and I will try to help you troubleshoot it.
dkightley

Not knowing Autodesk I may be writing a load of tosh.....but thinking laterally, could these separate parts be exported as one .stl file from Autodesk, then imported into S3D, and then the separate meshes be broken apart into separate models by using the "Separate Connected Surfaces" option (on the Mesh dropdown menu)??
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
pcman

That's a great tip Doug, thank you. As long as the Inventor part is constructed with multiple bodies, your suggestion works just as well.
t2k3d

Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't checked this forum until now, I thought I would receive an email notice when a reply came through. I know the alignment option doesn't work. When you export the separate bodies from Inventor, they lose the global coords and only have local ones. I will try the separate bodies method, I figured that would only work if the bodies weren't touching...
t2k3d

Genius is a better word :)

It doesn't work perfectly to do the "Separate Connected Surfaces" function, but it will work til I figure out how to export them from Inventor in the correct way. I attached a photo. It actually splits all parts of the separate bodies off, so each individual letter is its own model. No bid deal for this application, it will work. If one had a bigger file and had 2 bodies with multiple sections that had to printed with each extruder, you would have to be really careful when selecting which models are being printed by which extruder, as everything not connected would be broken off as its own model.

The ultimate solution would be able to export 2 solid bodies in Inventor as STLs and use the "Align Selected Model Origins" function. I do have a post over on the Inventor forums, but no solution that works yet. If I find one I will post it here.

Thanks Doug! I have only seen the "Separate Connected Surfaces" function used to break up STL files into separate bodies that weren't actually connected, never thought it would actually separate connected surfaces :)
Attachments
Car with Name split off.png
pcman

Your 'ultimate solution' is exactly the workflow I use. There is no need to compromise, this can be solved.

You haven't described how you built the model or how you export it from Inventor. If you tried my previous suggestion and it still failed, it seems that it must be a problem with the .stl files. Could you post the .ipt file that you're having problems with? I will then perform the export myself and try to identify where it's going wrong.
Rebekah_harper

Hiya,

I used to use 2015 but am now on 2017.

I find that if I save the STL files from the main part file by hiding all the parts apart from the part I want to save as an STL file. If I want to save multiple parts I just repeat the above.

then I import the all the files I want to print in one go rather than one at a time.

I seem to maintain the orientation like that

hope this helps
pcman

I also use 2017 now but I've successfully used the same method with previous versions. I do exactly what you do so I don't know why it would work for me and not you.

I would like to help your resolve this, but I don't know what more I can do without trying your file. I have never had a problem with alignment myself. I have made objects similar to yours with embossed text on top and they have aligned perfectly. It's always been a smooth process for me.

If you don't want to post your .ipt file, make a simple sample file with two bodies that exhibits the same problems and post that instead. I just need to follow your process step by step to see how it might differ from mine.
t2k3d

That last post wasn't mine, I still use 2015. And I did try another ipt file and tried to use the Separate option in S3D with no luck at all. So, I am not sure why that method worked on one file and not the other.

I attached the ipt file of the car.

I have successfully done this in the past with part bin tags, but only with FlashPrint as S3D doesn't seem to keep proper alignment. I do have the center and arrange option unchecked for when a part is first imported, so that shouldn't have an effect. I also attached an ipt of the parts bin tag, though I started this on the wrong plane.

Thanks for the help.

....it wouldn't let me attach ipt files, so I had to zip them.
Attachments
Parts Bin - Medium [ID Tag] 12-20.zip
Parts Bin
(954.87 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
body.zip
car
(315.7 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”