peps1

Extrusion Width Help Needed.

Hello guys, switched out to a 0.6mm nozzle on my printer and with the extrusion width set to auto (0.72) I get a 0.78mm extrusion width, so I need to change my extrusion multiplier from 1 to 0.92 (0.72/0.78=0.92), right?

I was also wondering why 0.72, is it a general rule of thumb that you want to extrude 20% thicker then your nozzle?

And, with a 0.72mm width I having a lot of issues slicing models with thin walls, as the printer can't cram in 0.72mm into many gaps, giving me hollow walls and week prints, can I drop my width down to something closer to the nozzle diameter, as right now my options are weak hollow walls, or ramping up the infill overlap and parameter overlap to the point the infill is showing through on the shell, making very rough ugly prints.
andrewk72

Re: Extrusion Width Help Needed.

It's pretty common to extrude a bit larger than the nozzle diameter, so I would say it's definitely normal to extruder 0.7-0.75mm from a 0.6mm nozzle. However, you can set it smaller if you wish. Obviously, you can't go below 0.6mm, but something around 0.65mm is probably okay.

And yes, it sounds like you should lower the extrusion multiplier a bit. Personally, I like to print a part with a few perimeter outlines and then adjust the multiplier until those perimeters are perfectly touching. I find that's a much better way to calibrate versus a single extrusion since it mimics a real print better.
peps1

andrewk72 wrote:Personally, I like to print a part with a few perimeter outlines and then adjust the multiplier until those perimeters are perfectly touching. I find that's a much better way to calibrate versus a single extrusion since it mimics a real print better.
That sound like a good tip!

I assume to do it so the perimeters are fused together like you would want in say a 2+ shell print?
andrewk72

Yup, I usually go for 4-5 perimeters since that's much more reliable than just 2
peps1

andrewk72 wrote:Yup, I usually go for 4-5 perimeters since that's much more reliable than just 2
Thanks dude!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”