andrewk72

Re: More Info About New Version 3.1.0 Update!

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:10 pm

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's also a new option to choose the export file format in the post-processing section. So it looks like it just takes a single click now to toggle between creating a .gcode file, .x3g, .3w, .bfb, etc. I tested a few of these myself and it seems quite easy to use and switch between, but of course, most printers only support a single file type so you probably don't need to change it much once you have the profile setup properly.

squidmarks

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 pm

I notice in V3.1 my printer, Tevo Tarantula has been added as a supported printer. But, when I go to Help>Configuration Assistant, I don't see it in the drop-down list. What's up?

Thanks.

Geoff

CompoundCarl

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 am

squidmarks wrote:I notice in V3.1 my printer, Tevo Tarantula has been added as a supported printer. But, when I go to Help>Configuration Assistant, I don't see it in the drop-down list.
Try emailing their support staff. I've gotten several profiles for them before that weren't in the software yet.
https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

andrewk72

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:50 am

I have this incredibly cheap USB cable that I had to stop using previously since it was causing too many communication errors during printing. For fun I decided to try it out with the new version and their automatic error checking stuff. It's actually usable now! If I watch the communication log in the machine control panel, it will occasionally recognize the bad commands and then automatically resend it.

To use this, your firmware needs to support it though. I know that marlin and repetier both do, so if you have a reprap type printer, you should be fine. You also need to enable the option by going to Tools > Firmware Configuration, selecting Communication tab, and turning on the "include line numbers and checksums" option

scobo

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:52 am

andrewk72 wrote:In case you haven't seen it yet, there's also a new option to choose the export file format in the post-processing section. So it looks like it just takes a single click now to toggle between creating a .gcode file, .x3g, .3w, .bfb, etc. I tested a few of these myself and it seems quite easy to use and switch between, but of course, most printers only support a single file type so you probably don't need to change it much once you have the profile setup properly.
Seems to be a problem with this feature. If you switch the format, it doesn't save when you click "update profile".
I have a Davinci 1.0 flashed with repetier and it defaults to .3w but if I change it to .gcode, it switches back when if I select a different profile.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 firmware & E3D hotend
Slicers - Simplify3d, Cura
Filament - ABS, PLA, TPU, Timberfill, Colorfabb Woodfill, Bronzefill, Glowfill and XT,
3D modelling - 123D Design, Mesh Mixer and Afinia ES360 3D scanner

Rebekah_harper

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:53 am

To the S3D team,

This is why S3D is better than the rest.

A bit of patience (I lack this attribute) and they deliver.

I had to make do with UM2 profile for a while and with the Ultimaker 2+ having had a big redesign it didn't cut the mustard.

Now that we have a UM 2+ Profile and the results have improved dramatically.

I am over the moon. So I'll put up with editing the GCODE for first layer speeds of the part whilst using Raft.

Guys you rock.

Becky

CompoundCarl

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:57 pm

scobo wrote:Seems to be a problem with this feature. If you switch the format, it doesn't save when you click "update profile".
I have a Davinci 1.0 flashed with repetier and it defaults to .3w but if I change it to .gcode, it switches back when if I select a different profile.
scobo - there's another thread about this here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5402

you just need to edit the post-processing script since you aren't using the stock firmware anymore

PinballGeorgio

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Rebekah_harper wrote:To the S3D team,

This is why S3D is better than the rest.

A bit of patience (I lack this attribute) and they deliver.

I had to make do with UM2 profile for a while and with the Ultimaker 2+ having had a big redesign it didn't cut the mustard.

Now that we have a UM 2+ Profile and the results have improved dramatically.

I am over the moon. So I'll put up with editing the GCODE for first layer speeds of the part whilst using Raft.

Guys you rock.

Becky
And when I asked, there was no difference for the UM2+, the UM2 profile was good enough :(

scobo

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:06 am

CompoundCarl wrote:
scobo wrote:Seems to be a problem with this feature. If you switch the format, it doesn't save when you click "update profile".
scobo - there's another thread about this here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5402

you just need to edit the post-processing script since you aren't using the stock firmware anymore
Thanks for that, all good now. :)
On another note, version 3.1 seems to be loading files quicker now too.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 firmware & E3D hotend
Slicers - Simplify3d, Cura
Filament - ABS, PLA, TPU, Timberfill, Colorfabb Woodfill, Bronzefill, Glowfill and XT,
3D modelling - 123D Design, Mesh Mixer and Afinia ES360 3D scanner

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”