3DC

Problems with conical surface

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:09 am

Hi.

I am trying to print a part from black PLA 'PolyMax'. Problem is that it must be printed as shown in the photo (conical part at the bottom).

You can see the result in other photos. Surfaces are not good, they are rough and not smooth. What can be done to print this part with a good quality?

Some settings that I use:
Nozzle diameter: 0,4 mm;
Extrusion Multiplier: have tryed 0,9 and 1,0, does not make a difference;
Primary Layer Height: 0,08 mm;
Top/Bottom Solid Layers: 5;
Infill Percentage: 50;
Printing speed: have tryed 1800 mm/min and 2100 mm/min, does not make a difference;

If anybody could help with this print, I would be very grateful.

P.S. The top surfaces are good.
Attachments
Part location.jpg
IMAG2936.jpg
IMAG2950.jpg

CompoundCarl

Re: Problems with conical surface

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:20 am

You could try using the dense support options. May also want to try adjusting the support infill and separation settings since that can also have an affect

jimc

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:29 am

Thats a pretty typical surface quality for anything needing support. If your expexting it to come out like a top surface then thats not gonna happen. The best thing to do here is model your parts with 3d printing in mind. The cone should be a seperate piece then assemble the two parts after printing. I almost never use support. If i used support 2 times in the past year thats alot

jeevesme@hotmail.com

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Is there a reason you are printing it with the dome down? If not, just rotate the part 180 degrees so the dome is on top. Otherwise do what CompoundCarl suggested. Increase the Dense Upper layer to 100% and put upper layer separation to 0. You will have to clean the excess filament from it but it will look better.

3DC

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 am

Thank you for your answers, they are much appreciated!

I will try to print this part as you suggest and see what happens.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”