Cocacolalover

Incorrect extrusion width

Hello everyone,

Please, see attached picture of the part I'm trying to print. I've also added the stl file.

My problem is simple. I want the two thin walls to be 0,4mm thick (also verified in the solid model from wich I've made the stl). My printer prints it 0,6mm thick.

My settings

Nozzle 0,35mm
Extrusion width 0,4mm
Layer 0,2mm
Multiplier 1,02 (ABS hot chamber) - yes, i've done a previous calibration printing a single walled box and it prints 0,4mm walls.
Top and bottom layers 2
Perimeters 2 (i've also tried 1)
2mm skirt
100% infill
8% overlap
blabla

It is obvious that those walls are Outer perimeters, so why is my machine extruding 0,6mm thick walls?
I've also tried Slic3r, but it uses a diferent outer perimeter deposition method (discontinuous) wich I didn't like and gave bad finishing to the part. But it respects the 0,4mm wall...

I've also tried printing with a extrusion width of 0,25mm just to see how it would react and it prints the same 0,6mm thick walls

Any help would be apreciated. I'm using S3D 3.0.2

Regards
Attachments
tampa_v2.STL
(80.75 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
jimc

Re: Incorrect extrusion width

The problem is the walls have to be 2x your extrusiion width. The outer wall is comprised of 2 surfaces. S3d puts an extrusion on each surface. It will not make the outer wall with a single extrusion. There are some setting that fudge this a little like the thin wall setting which allos for an overlap of those 2 extrusions but then of course you are also over extruding a bit. If you design those walls to be .8mm then they will print at the correct width.
Cocacolalover

Re: Incorrect extrusion width

jimc wrote:The problem is the walls have to be 2x your extrusiion width. The outer wall is comprised of 2 surfaces. S3d puts an extrusion on each surface. It will not make the outer wall with a single extrusion. There are some setting that fudge this a little like the thin wall setting which allos for an overlap of those 2 extrusions but then of course you are also over extruding a bit. If you design those walls to be .8mm then they will print at the correct width.
I get it.

My only chance would be to print 0,2mm width layer then...
With 0,35mm nozzle that is very unreliable.
It should be possible to print only one surface, or the software should detect that it is overlaping two fillaments and use only one... :(

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”