Derrick

Managing multiple printer settings

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:43 am

I am having difficulty managing printer settings for multiple printers. I am wondering if there's an alternative to using the Import/Export FFF profile functions to toggle between the different printers. Namely, each of the printers I use have different toolhead offsets, materials loaded in them, bed sizes etc., so I can't really just make minor adjustments to a "universal" template. I do NOT want to run the machines off of S3D - I just want to manage the profiles to not be confused on my end if the profiles I'm slicing with is actually for the proper printer I intend to use. I also understand I can run multiple instances of S3D, which is a workaround for running multiple machines at once, but for my purposes this will make things even more confusing to me. I use SD cards for all of the machines. If there is an easier way to organize the profiles by machine, it is not intuitive to me and I could use some suggestions.

DarthRevan

Re: Managing multiple printer settings

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 am

Profiles can be organized in the software. You do not need to use Import/Export FFF profile unless you're sharing the profile with another person. Inside the software, in the edit process settings window there is a drop down list where you can switch between your various printers' profiles. Their build volumes, offsets, and material/quality presets get loaded right along with the profile.

Make sense?

Derrick

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

DarthRevan wrote:Profiles can be organized in the software. You do not need to use Import/Export FFF profile unless you're sharing the profile with another person. Inside the software, in the edit process settings window there is a drop down list where you can switch between your various printers' profiles. Their build volumes, offsets, and material/quality presets get loaded right along with the profile.

Make sense?
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I see this. It gets extremely confusing when I have 10-15 processes for each printer here, very few of which overlap one another. All of the printers here have different optimal printing speeds, nozzle diameters, and I often have 10 processes for each part with the "start/end print at X height" and using 3-4 materials. So my 3 options (that I've figured out thus far) are:
- using a set of generically labeled processes and manually going to each process and switching the profile to the printer I'm slicing for (VERY easy to make a mistake)
- make a crazy long list of processes unique to each printer with a prefix to the label of <printer-> or something like that (also easy to make a mistake, but not as easily as above)
- or importing/exporting FFF profiles to try to only see the processes I want to use for the given printer I'm slicing for (very tedious, but least likely to make a mistake)

I guess this leads me to three follow-up directions/questions.
- Is there a way to more easily switch through the printers (or profiles) and only see the processes specific to that particular printer?
- Is there another and/or external way to view and manage the profiles, like in Windows Explorer?
- Is there a way to group profiles together? (I know this is possible, but I haven't figured out how to)

edit:
I was just trying random stuff at this point in frustration, and I magically got processes to group together. Highlight the processes and hit ctrl+g. I hope this helps someone else out. I saw this feature in a tip of the day at some point a while ago, but they neglected how to actually do it!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2797&

However, in playing around with this, I found that while grouped processes conveniently have sync'd layer heights, tool offsets, speeds, temps etc., they also have sync'd start/stop print at height X, which makes it useless for most of my purposes. Arrg.

CompoundCarl

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:44 am

I'm not sure if you have seen these yet, but they already have several videos on these topics here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQfifnzL4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7HFPY1wog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFynhtvPBPQ

That explains things pretty well

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”