erniehatt

Alternative to ABS

Hi, is there an alternative to ABS with similar properties, but easier to use. Thanks
tenaja

Re: Alternative to ABS

I've tried Polymax PLA, just a simple 1/8" thick heart-shaped key fob for my wife, and that simple test was very positive. It stuck to the Buildtak so well it was difficult to remove. There were no signs of lifting at all. It was very tough, too. I had a few partial prints from setting up the extrusion rate, and they were pretty strong for as thin as they were.

Not cheap, though.
erniehatt

Thanks, but how do they react to heat, and are they still biogradable like normal PLA.
JohnOCFII

erniehatt wrote:Hi, is there an alternative to ABS with similar properties, but easier to use. Thanks
Which properties are most important to you? Which facets of ABS are giving you trouble?

For a stronger, more heat resistant filament, I like the High Performance PLA from MakerGeeks:

http://www.makergeeks.com/hipepla.html

For similar strength, with more flexibility (but not soft, like TPE) I like PETG, but it has its own printing challenges.

http://www.makergeeks.com/pet3dfilament.html

Both PETG and the High Performance PLA can handle higher heat than regular PLA. The HP PLA is so easy to print, and has such good strength and heat resistance that it has become my go-to filament for most prints. Neither of these filaments smell bad when printing, so no need to have a massive vent hood.
erniehatt

thanks for the info.
Sticking to the bed really, what I want is a product that wiil stick and is not biogradable
ptraugot

You should take a look at ASA (Acrylic-styrene-acrylonitrile). This has many of the same properties of ABS with greater bonding and UV control. It also has less shrinkage.

Inksmith sells it, and you can get it on Amazon, though it is not as cheap as ABS. https://store.inksmith.co/collections/i ... ucts/asa-x

I got a sample of it through a monthly subscription service, and really enjoyed it.

Biggest drawback is lack of color selection.
Lagbert

Have you looked at ColorFabb's XT and HT lines of filaments. They are tough and strong, print without peel up when used with buildtak, low odor, and the HT line is good up to temps of 100 C.

I've pretty printing mostly with XT and it makes really reliable parts. I've make bike rack brackets, and headphone hangers out of it.
erniehatt

Thanks fellas, I will take a look at it.
Derrick

I second PETG from MakerGeeks. You need a smaller nozzle (<0.4mm), fans off, print slow, set the die swell to about 10% (default in S3D is 20%) and accordingly adjust the extrusion factor, and print with thick layers (70% of nozzle diameter - not less than 50%) at ~30 mm/s and ~260C. I'd recommend 2 perimeters with 50-70% infill.

There is a learning curve, but it's worth adding to your arsenal. it's denser, so heavier parts. but it is FDA approved food contact, water insoluble, will not warp up to around similar temps as ABS (maybe 10C higher), and if you find the optimal extrusion temp, the mechanical properties are better than ABS or PLA.
erniehatt

Thanks for the info, I will be giving it a try.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”