HardwareHarry

Basic question from migrating MatterControl user

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 am

Hi all,

Sorry - this is a newbie question! I wanted to understand more about the Bed Leveling Wizard functionality in S3D. Coming from Matter Control, they have a really cool bed levelling feature which doesn't require changes to the actual bed but deals with any level inadequacies dynamically when creating the print code. I get excellent first layer prints using this feature.

I've just switched over to using S3D, or at least I would like to switch over but I can't seem to get the bed levelling working at all. When I read the help on the S3D bed leveling, it seems to suggest that the leveling wizard just moves the extruder around the bed and expects you to manually adjust the head. Is that correct? If so it seems pretty poor compared to the much easier to use bed levelling in (free) MatterControl.

Am I missing something obvious or is that just how it works? I really struggle to get the bed completely level manually on my printer so this is a big problem for me.

Many thanks,
Paul.
Last edited by HardwareHarry on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CompoundCarl

Re: Basic question from migration MatterControl user

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 am

There's other software adjustments that you can make to precisely dial in the nozzle height and thickness really easily, but yes, the expectation is that you can get the bed somewhat level on your own using the leveling wizard.

HardwareHarry

Re: Basic question from migrating MatterControl user

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Ok, thanks. Time to tinker with those thumb screws then. I wonder if the developers would consider adding this feature to S3D. I'll post a suggestion

Cheers,
Paul.

Captainshittypants

Re: Basic question from migrating MatterControl user

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this? I am exactly in the same boat. When using mattercontrol with the leveling, my first layers came out amazing. The wizard in S3d is just useless. I can move the bed and head around myself, why a tool is required to do that I don't know. It sure would be a whole lot easier (also good for people that are tired of cranking thumbscrews all the time.

Thanks.....

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”