jimc

v2.0 changes and tutorials

s3d put up some tutorials on their website. located here

http://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/

also here is the official list of changes for v2.0

http://www.simplify3d.com/changelog/

Added direct USB control for MakerBot-style printers (including FlashForge, MBot, etc)
Almost a dozen new pre-configured profiles for popular printers such as the Replicator 1, Leapfrog Creatr, Printrbot, Solidoodle, and more
New sequential printing mode for enhanced multiple process printing
Added helical printing mode for single outlines parts such as vases or bracelets
Added new method for simple stacked infill or half-height outlines by specifying the infill layer interval
Added wipe option to help avoid excessive stringing with bowden extruders or other leaky nozzles
Vastly improved ooze control settings with more control over retraction behavior
Improved 5D extrusion rates for low layer height printing
Automatic model repair for non-manifold models during slicing
Greatly improved Machine Control Panel support for dual extruders
Previewer has been updated to show entire build by default, play/pause button has new smart rewind feature
New option to automatically load preview after G-Code preparation without extra prompt
First layer height can now be changed without affecting the first layer extrusion width, allows better squishing of filament for better adhesion
Inner perimeter speeds are now controlled based on outer-most outline speed
Improved raft with easier separation from part surface
Bed leveling wizard now includes option to specify custom Z-height for leveling movements
Added option for custom tool change G-Code scripts
Added option for bridging fan speed override
New cylindrical build table representation for delta printers
Improved resizing of FFF Settings for small resolution screens
Improved compatibility for lower-end graphics cards
Removed arc detection and G2/G3 replacement since it was a large source of user problems due to incompatible RepRap firmwares
Better detection and prevention of harmful heated bed temperature settings
More decimal places for finer resolution on layer height setting
Better initial directory prompts after first time installation
pleonard23

Re: v2.0 changes and tutorials

Looks like some good stuff in here for the upgrade, but I'm still disappointed that I'm not seeing something like hexagonal infill patterns. That would be really nice and I can't imagine it would be super hard to do.

Paul
JD95

Can you point me to information on getting this helical "vase" mode working?

I recall there are some settings and circumstances that prevent it from working, but I can't find any information on it. The software isn't telling that the setting is being ignored or why.
tri-lite

The latest version 2.1.0 is out and I think there were some improvements to assist with vase mode. So make sure to download it first http://www.simplify3d.com/downloads/

Here are the steps, but note that the software is going to tell you something like "vase mode requires several changes which will be overridden - is that OK?", and then you can just say yes! Almost like the software has a friendly Siri-person built in like an iPhone ;)

Find the vase mode in the layer tab (see screenshot with checkmark at the very bottom). When I look back, I can see that I had an error which was to place 3 solid layers on top, which would make it quite difficult to get into my vase. In any event, the software helps you because you'll see you get an alert (see screenshot 2) letting you know the software is going to override your oversights. Just like my oversight. Hope that helps!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.05.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 8.05.41 AM.png
jsc

It does not seem to override "Force retraction on layer change", so you should turn that off to prevent retractions.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”