akegata@gmail.com

Bed temperature doesn't follow material auto-configuration.

I'm not sure if this is only happening for me, but when I switch material in the FFF Settings window, the "Heated bed" temperature value doesn't change.
So if I change material from ABS to PLA, the hot end temperature changes from 250 to 225, but the heated bed stays at 100.

This is pretty annoying since I manually have to change that temperature when I change materials. Is there a fix for this (or am I even doing something wrong)?
CompoundCarl

Re: Bed temperature doesn't follow material auto-configurati

Export the FFF profile and then open it in a text editor so that you can see exactly what settings get change for each auto configure section. If the bed temperature isn't in there, then that's why it's not changing
akegata@gmail.com

I tried figuring out what was missing in the profile, but eventually ended up just creating a new one.
I think what was happening was that the extruder and/or bed in the temperature controller list had different names for different material auto-configurations, which seems to make simplify3d confused.
On another profile (which I never use) I apparently had some materials configured for two extruders and others for only one. Switching between those makes simplify3d think all materials should have two extruders...

Thanks for the pointer anyway, at least I have a profile that works like I want it to now. :)
mechaMecha

akegata@gmail.com wrote:I tried figuring out what was missing in the profile, but eventually ended up just creating a new one.
I think what was happening was that the extruder and/or bed in the temperature controller list had different names for different material auto-configurations, which seems to make simplify3d confused.
I was having the same problem, but after inspecting my FFF file in a text editor, I think I figured out what was causing it. The third line in the FFF file normally contains:

<baseProfile></baseProfile>

This line had been referencing a profile that I previously deleted. Modifying it so the opening and closing tags contain nothing (as shown above) seems to fix the problem.
mechaMecha

Hmm. Never mind. It seemed to work at first, but now it doesn't. Bed temp isn't saved with material. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much mention of this bug here on the forum.
SimpleScott

mechaMecha wrote:Hmm. Never mind. It seemed to work at first, but now it doesn't. Bed temp isn't saved with material. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much mention of this bug here on the forum.
It isn't so much a "bug" as a "partially implemented feature". :D

S3D has the ability to associate more settings (including bed temp) with each Material choice, but it requires an initial step of manually exporting, editing, then re-importing the FFF profile. After that manual step, you can have various settings that automatically vary for each Material choice. The GUI will work as you would expect, allowing you to edit that setting to different values for each Material. But getting there initially requires you to "restructure" the FFF file using a text or XML editor.

When editing the FFF profile, you have to find the XML tags you want separately for each Material (like "<globalBedTemperature>90</globalBedTemperature>" for bed temp) and duplicate them to each of the "<autoConfigureMaterial>" sections in the FFF file. When done editing, import the FFF file back to S3D and select the imported profile. After that, the GUI will allow a different values for each Material, and switching materials will update values appropriately.

There are several threads on the forum that discuss how to do this. Here's one recent one, but a forum search should turn up a few more with additional instructions if needed:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3137&p=28916
mechaMecha

Thanks, SimpleScott! Yup, I've searched the forums and I've edited my FFF files accordingly, but I still can't get the bed temp to stick for some of my materials for some reason. Some of them cooperate, but others don't even though I've set them all up the same way...
SimpleScott

Could just be a simple formatting error - the xml is pretty unforgiving. If you can post the FFF file, I can take a look and see if I can spot the problem.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”