peterlundh

Finite Element Analysis and Simplify3D

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:32 am

Hi all-

Does anybody have experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA, FEM) of designs to be prepared in Simplify3D and printed in FFF?

Thanks.

-Peter

dorsai3d

Re: Finite Element Analysis and Simplify3D

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:30 am

I have a fairly good amount of experience with FEA, but not of FFF printed parts. I suspect that you'll have a hell of a time getting accurate results with all the various factors in play on printed parts that aren't 100% filled. Getting the constraints and anisotropic properties correct seems like quite the headache. I suppose it depends on how accurate the results you're looking for are.

billyd

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Printed parts would be difficult to model accurately, because the strength is highly dependent upon layer direction. So you'd have to use both an orthotropic material model (to take into account layer fusion or lack of it) and a non linear stress strain curve to model plastic behavior. You could ignore infill and just consider the shell strength, but that might be overly conservative especially for all loading except bending and torsion.

In my experience with FEA (extensive I've been using it since the mid 80's professionally) it's not really practical. But you might be able to get good enough results to compare designs. But as far as predicting actual failure loads, that would be a crap shoot.

peterlundh

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:09 pm

dorsai3d and billyd: Thanks much for your replies! I will need to read up a bit on anisotropy and orthrotropy, and how to optimise designs for 3D printing given the physical properties inherent to the FFF production process before getting involved with FEA.

Best.

-Peter

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”