z3d

Different Settings for Different Regions of a Model

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi All

loving the software but still a total newbie. i am trying to get as well versed as possible and i did try to print the “Gnome Weeble” model by cerberus333 that is referenced in the Simplify3D Support Articles. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... f-a-model/

i figured out how to have Different Settings for Different Regions of a Model but I cannot get this model to weeble wobble. can anyone share the exact settings i need to implement to get this to work?

thank you

dkightley

Re: Different Settings for Different Regions of a Model

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Have you actually tried starting with the default....or your best settings....and simply adjusting by the amounts suggested in the article??

When we printed this model, we were able to configure the bottom spherical section with 90% infill density and 5 perimeter outlines. This created a very strong and heavy base. We then printed the top gnome section using a 10% infill density with only 2 perimeter outlines. By doing this, the base of the model was heavily weighted which allowed the weeble to rock back and forth on a table without falling over. Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down!

You could up the infill for the bottom half to 100% to increase the density even more.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

z3d

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 am

thanks for trying to help me.

this is what i did and set.

1- the first process called "bottom" is set to:
-high
primary layer .1000mm
top solid 4
bottom solid 2
outline/perimeter shells 5
raft/support
infill 90%
speed 3600
set to stop @ 14mm

2- second process call "top" is set to:
-medium
primary layer .2000mm
top solid 2
bottom solid 2
outline/perimeter shells 2
infill 10%
speed 3600
set to start @ 14mm

thing just flops over and never weebles or wobbles just drops like a brick

not sure where i am going wrong. i have printed it in many sizes to no avail

thanks for any insight

Edwin

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am

Hi,

I can understand your question well. Since there is no software so far, it really can help me with tricks.

I cut the template into all relevant areas which I would like to adjust separately and save these as separate stl. I then put these in the slicer as for a dual print again together and make me for each piece a separate process. This is expensive, but I can implement what you describe.

Greetings Edwin

z3d

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:31 pm

hi edwin

not sure what you are saying. would love to figure out how to get this print to rock back and forth or in other words weeble wobble.

thanks

dkightley

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

If you can attach your factory file to a post fairly quickly I can take a look at it in the next few hours and let you know if you have the setup right....

If it looks okay, then the design of the thing in the first place will be suspect!!!

File menu===>Save factory file
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Edwin

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I hope you can understand what I write. The Google translator sometimes creates incomprehensible or funny phrases.

I have attached here a factory file of a simple technical part to show how I can cut it my objects and how to print with dual processes with different processes, but only with a nozzle and the same painterly. This is also the case with FIguren and other difficult things so if the otherwise available possibilities of S3D are simply not sufficient and this is only a very simple example.
Attachments
Halter 3.factory
(328.1 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Heutinck

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:12 pm

try printing the bottom process with no top layers and the top process with no bottom layers. you are printing 6 solid layers in the middle of the object. this could be adding some extra weight that causes it to flop over.

z3d

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 pm

thanks all for trying to help. not sure how to get this to work. can anyone print it and make it weeble wobble or should i just put metal inside?
i tried printing the bottom process with no top layers and the top process with no bottom layers didnt work :(

i tried to attach the factory file but its 5.24 mb and it says the max for attachments is 3mb.

i am kind of giving up.

Heutinck

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:07 am

are you printing the whole spherical section with high infill? You probably should only print the bottom half of the spherical portion at 100% infill like Doug suggested. If you print the whole spherical portion with high infill, then that section wouldn't care what orientation it was in, so the top weight would just cause it to roll.

you want to keep the weight as low as possible on the gnome, that's why the original creator on thingiverse filled the bottom with glue and BB's.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”