3DAli

Continue a failed print

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi every one,

is there any way to continue a filed print or cancelled print. lets say you can figure out the height (Z) at which you want to continue, you go to advance tab and set the profile to only print above that Z value, and you go to starting script and disable homing on the Z axis so your print is not getting crushed under the gantry and you hit print, is this not supposed to print just at that layer and above? I had difficulty doing that and I was wondering if there is more to it? any help, advice or guidance is very much appreciated :)

Sincerely
Ali
Regards
Ali

nuggetz

Re: Continue a failed print

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 am

The other night I had a failed print and wanted to start the print again where it failed. I removed it from the bed so my plan was to have S3D just start printing the remaining part and I planned on gluing them together. When I used the advanced options to "Start printing at height" I was surprised to see that when it started to print it started printing at that actual height and not from the print surface. Was thinking if I didn't remove the part I probaby could have continued it. That's all I know. Haven't done what you're asking so I'm not sure but thought I'd share my experience. Seems like the S3D folks are asleep. I guess they dont like answering questions. Take the $150 and run.

CompoundCarl

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:17 am

3DAli wrote:is there any way to continue a filed print or cancelled print. lets say you can figure out the height (Z) at which you want to continue, you go to advance tab and set the profile to only print above that Z value, and you go to starting script and disable homing on the Z axis so your print is not getting crushed under the gantry and you hit print, is this not supposed to print just at that layer and above?
Usually once you have turned the printer off, you will always need to re-home the Z-axis. That's because when it's turned off, the motors are free to move and the printer can lose track of its current position. I know with most of my printers, I can still home the Z-axis, even when I still have a print on the bed, as long as I move to a specific location before doing so. So maybe the same idea will work for you.

After you've homed everything manually, then you can do what you described. Just setup your process so that it starts printing at the Z height where the print stopped. You can remove the homing stuff from the starting script if you already homed manually.

There's also several other posts on the forum already about this. Here's one that might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2738&p=11481
nuggetz wrote:I removed it from the bed so my plan was to have S3D just start printing the remaining part and I planned on gluing them together. When I used the advanced options to "Start printing at height" I was surprised to see that when it started to print it started printing at that actual height and not from the print surface.
That's how the start printing at height option works. If you already removed the part from the bed, then you can just double-click on the part in S3D and decrease the Z-axis offset so that the part that you already printed is below the bed. Anything below the bed doesn't get printed, so this way it will start printing at the location you want, and that will also be placed right on top of the bed. So you have to pick the right one depending on what you want to do.
nuggetz wrote:Seems like the S3D folks are asleep. I guess they dont like answering questions.
You know that they have a full time support team, right? This is a user forum, but if you want to talk to them, just use their contact form: https://www.simplify3d.com/contact-us/

I've probably emailed them hundreds of times and always got a response in about a day or less

wirlybird

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am

I agree with Carl, I have had good response from them.

As for restarting the print, as was mentioned, you have a few options. If you remove the part then adjust the "start at" layer to where you want it to start printing the model then double click on the model and "lower" it on the build plate using the Z position so the layer you want to start on is on the build plate. The other thing would be to leave the model attached and just restart again at the level you need. May take trial and error to do but is doable.

3DAli

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 am

Thank you all for your replies, I am going to try as suggested and let you guys know if it was successful.
Regards
Ali

wirlybird

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 am

Cool, thanks.

Heutinck

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:35 am

Actually if you lower the part below the bed you would not use the start printing at height option or it will start at that height based on the newly slice part.

RomeFallsAgain

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am

In some cases it may be easier to just slice the part horizontally in S3D at the point where the failed print stopped (and the remainder should start), then make that sliced piece a new print all it's own, then print that section as a new print and use a product called Weld-On 4 to permanently fuse the two pieces into one.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”