georgei

Version3.1.1 Any improvements from requests?

I have just download and installed the new version 3.1.1.

From what I can see there is no improvements from the requested features.

Just multiple extrusion advanced support and a bunch of new printers.

How about the thin walls infills?
What about the non relative printing speeds?
And a lot of other major requests for a long time now.
wirlybird

Re: Version3.1.1 Any improvements from requests?

They added languages and printers. Nothing much else that people have been talking about. Doesn't seem real issues were addressed.

Supports now have a new problem of generating supports where nothing is printing. Really useful. Now that extra support material can get tangled in the print.
dkightley

Don't tell me this is a repeat of this previous thread....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5391&p=23306&hilit=upgrade#p23306
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
georgei

I do not know if something similar has been posted before but today I had a notification that there was an update.
I have installed it and there was absolutely no change to real everyday problems and improvements that they have been mentioned the previous months.

We do not buy new printer every six months. So what is the improvements for the users the additional 20 printers?

We came to point where Cura and Slicer have weekly updates and S3D takes months with no real functional improvement.

Not what I was hoping for.
mroek

Again a really underwhelming new version. I truely believe S3D don't have many real developers left, so they have to resort to pumping out some useless translations to different languages just to keep up the facade that they are actually doing anything at all.

That said, I will of course have to install the new version. I guess they haven't fixed any of the issues with that, so installing will be side by-side with old version, but uninstalling the old version will then wreak havoc with file associations and such.

How do you guys do it when a new version comes along? Just install it side-by-side with the old, and leave it like that?

I wish they'd have a choice to just update the old version...
wirlybird

I uninstalled the old first but that is how I usually like to do updates unless I know it will update the current version with out issues.
KeyboardWarrior

arhi wrote:
dkightley wrote:Don't tell me this is a repeat of this previous thread....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5391&p=23306&hilit=upgrade#p23306
looks like it ...

5 months of work
- Japanese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish localization is usually not something devs do, you pay someone to translate resources and that's it so approx 2 hours of development went into this
- Updated Dual Extrusion Wizard to support printers with 3 or more extruders 3+ extruders is not something I notices in the feature requests, not a single one, also "what updates" happened here? what's better?
- Greatly improved dense support structure processing for complex models I don't see anything different, seen already a bug report on this new improved support ... anyhow I am happy if support generation is getting better
- Improved post-processing script performance ?!?!?! post processing script is - you call external app that we write in the textbox - what is "improved" there.. the scripts are the same, you are sending the same g-code... details?
- Improved placement for M103 commands within BFB files would be interesting to see how many bfb users you have :D .. I have 2 bfb electronics on my shelf .. useless piece of crap Iain undersigned cheeping out on parts ... without netfabb's firmware it's supercrap .. anyhow "placement of M103" that's like 2 hours of work?
- Added support for over 20 new... great, would be better if you looked at the feature request and added an API for adding printers so *anyone* from the 3d printing community can add their printer to s3d .. you'd get free advert from all those manufacturers as they would mention you in "we have library for simplify3d for our printer" and you would not have to continue to chase for all the new printers that show up all over the world ...

this is so little work for 5 engineer months .. and that's a single full time engineer working on this :( .. very sad .. and the whole "vote on the feature requests", "want feedback", "no feedback" story ... ;(

lemme put it like this - in my company, this would be a nice changelog for a weekly update
Not every release can be a 3.0.0 ;)
ashleywebster

Underwhelming release for sure, but it is only a minor version number. Let's hope this is because they are working so hard to rock us with 4.0.
dkightley

Let's hope this is because they are working so hard to rock us with 4.0.
The "enhancements" in this sub-release seem to be to expand the market for the product. Non-English languages has the potential to bring in thousands of potential customers who wouldn't have considered the product before now. And expanding the range of printers has a much smaller, but significant effect.....bringing the product to a wider market....making money for the developer.

Now.....making cosmetic changes to the product, adding clever little things that existing users identify as needed does not open up the market of the product.....so to a developer wanting to increase sales, these sort of changes are not cost-effective...or not that cost-effective. Losing an existing customer means nothing.....gaining a new customer does!

Taking the money-making theme one step further......there might be a big upgrade in the pipeline that will result in v4 of the product...and the new version will be rolled out to new customers.......and existing customers will need to pay an upgrade fee to get it! Don't pay....and your package is no longer being developed or supported. Pay.....and you get the same as new customers!

Just a thought.........
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”