nickm324

Lithophane

Anyone have the process and settings to create a Lithophane in Simplify3D?

I tired the import image addin but after I went through the steps the screen was blank there was no model on the platform and there were no errors reported.
CompoundCarl

Re: Lithophane

I just created a PNG file and used the image to 3D add-in. Worked fine for me. Maybe try using a PNG if you were previously using some other file format
nickm324

Yea I converted my image to png and it converted and imported it. Guess the addin doesn't support anything but PNG.

Now does anyone know what settings to use for layers, angles, etc... to get a good print?
MikeO

From my experience:

Use 3 solid layers on the bottom, so the brightest part of the image will have that much under it to support it at a minimum, for strength.

Use 100% infill for the remaining layers.

Depending on the transparency of your filament, distribute the image on top of the bottom layers over about 30 layers. You want the highest number of layers you can live with to give the maximum number of different levels of brightness. Thinner layers will let you use more of them.

If you use too many layers the image gets dark and contrast goes down.

Good luck!
nerys

I get the best results making it 3mm thick (good detail decent contrast) I print vertically

this means at most 7 or 8 layers.

I just print with 0% infill but set permiters to 8 and use single extrusion infill

comes out very nicely. I have not tried doing this with simplify 3d generator (thank you for that answer IE using PNG :-) I will try it tonight.
MasterFX

I recently printed a lithophane using the online generator http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/ which has much more options. Then I printed with 100% infill in S3D @ 0.2mm Layer.
The result is stunning
lithophane.jpg
lithophane1.jpg
jfkansas

Would be perfect for a Trump picture.
jccbsl

I'm looking for a way to print a 1/2" to 3/4" tall base frame at the bottom of my lithophane so the image is positioned higher in the freestanding holder I printed. Any suggestions?
rrdavis

S3D can generate lithophanes from an image, and it allows you to set the height of the base panel. Go to Add-Ins > Convert Image to 3D.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”