Don

I'm Back, Duplicator 6 notes

A year ago last week, I got on my bike to ride to a local art show. It was a perfect Florida morning. I love going to the shows because I buy a lot of art from the artists who travel through the southeast to display at this show. And I look forward to buying new art.

My wife was riding along side me, when suddenly I noticed...my handlebars were no longer connected to my bike. I had about 2 seconds, holding my handlebars while I realized what was about to happen. It wasn't pretty.

And that's why I haven't posted anything here for a year. I spent some time in the hospital and many, many months in rehab. 3D printing was out. I couldn't load a spool if I wanted to. I messed up my skull, neck, spine and shoulder.

I was a mess.

Fast forward one year. I can sit at my computer for about 1 hour, then take a break for an hour. Almost all my effort has been to the work I do to pay bills, so 3D printing had to go on the side. I love it, and the response to my work has been great, but something had to give. 3D printing had to wait.

But I'm back. I'm still in pain, and need to take breaks a lot, but my regular illustration business is fine.

Given all of that, I just created my first new model. Since June I've had my new Duplicator 6 sitting in a box, and I couldn't even open it. It was driving me nuts. In early November I was able to open it and pull it out of the box. Cool looking, tight machine. I loved the design.

I looked at the build volume and tried to think of something I could build that would fill the envelope. And it hit me immediately. I did an illustration for the National Park Service years ago on the Fort Matanzas Monument.

So I designed a 2-print version of the old Spanish fort, which is about 10 miles south of St. Augustine. It is still there.

http://donfoley.com/index.php/3d-printi ... int-store/

I'll offer it for free for a while. I also put up my two Christmas decorations for free download too.

The Duplicator 6 printed this thing perfectly. I used Simplify3D as the slicer based off a profile I found on this site.

It's good to be back.

Don
brian442

Re: I'm Back, Duplicator 6 notes

Wow, your print of that fort is really nice! Almost perfect as far as I can see!

Glad you are okay after the accident!
CompoundCarl

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you're feeling better and getting back to 3D printing!
wirlybird

Nicely done and welcome back!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”