sreisig1

PLA Bed Temp and Warping

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Hey guys. Have some questions about PLA printing and warping. I use to print objects straight to the glass with 60C bed temp and it would be fine (This was during the summer). Now that is is winter here and has been colder the past few months, large prints would start to warp and lift up off the bed in the corners. To solve this I started using gluestick, but I hate using it, although it solved my issue. I know the warping is due to the print cooling. My question is since 60C use to work when it was warmer out, now that it is cold, should I up or lower bed temp to combat warping without using gluestick. I have a flashforge creator pro and not using the enclosure acrylic top, but I can.

kabali16

Re: PLA Bed Temp and Warping

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:17 am

As you figured out, this is due to the ambient temperature. I would not recommend increasing your bed temperature as this will affect the base layer of the printed part. Definitely enclose the Build chamber in all directions. If possible, use one of those weather sealing strips. In this way you can also make it work with ABS.
Another recommendation is using a better build surface. I switched to PrintinZ skin about a year ago and never looked back. Worth the $20 investment
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

sreisig1

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 pm

kabali16 wrote:As you figured out, this is due to the ambient temperature. I would not recommend increasing your bed temperature as this will affect the base layer of the printed part. Definitely enclose the Build chamber in all directions. If possible, use one of those weather sealing strips. In this way you can also make it work with ABS.
Another recommendation is using a better build surface. I switched to PrintinZ skin about a year ago and never looked back. Worth the $20 investment
Thanks tried covering it and no go. Guess I'll just have to deal with the glue stick in the winter. I have a PrintenZ Zebra plate I have yet to try out. I like the shinyness the glass bed gives.

PinballGeorgio

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 pm

My solution is to print with 70 degrees Celsius and use 3Dlac on the surface. Tried everything, but this combo works for me. No more warping or messing around with kapton, blue tape, glue sticks etc. etc. on the buildplate. Wait till the plate has cooled down and your printed object just pops off.

shocksofmighty

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:11 pm

You probably can't totally exclude temperature, but I would suspect that the differences in temperature at the build plate surface in Summer and Winter are pretty small. What is likely to be drastically different is the relative humidity. Cooler air is more dry and could be impacting the PLA.

kabali16

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:07 pm

sreisig1 wrote: I like the shinyness the glass bed gives.
Thats partly the reason why it is warping. There is one last option -> BRIM. if nothing works, this will, at least improve. You may need more loops and thicker first layer in terms of width.
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

greybeard

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Not all glass is equal... These points may help:

All glass is made at high temp so don't think you need high temp glass for printer beds - you don't.
Borosillicate glass is not as porous as Soda Lime Glass (regular glass you can buy at Ace Hardware for $7). You want more porousity.

Four Aspects that can help:
#1 I use Soda Lime Glass on both my printers and PLA sticks without glue-stick. The trick is to Clean the glass with water only and wipe dry. Do this before each printing. Printing leaves residuals in the micro-pores and facilitates warping so clean it.

#2 Another Significant Aspect is, what I call 'Squish'. You need to adjust bed height so the first layer is Squished into/onto the glass. I set my bed height a gap (between nozzle and bed at several locations) with a "cigarette rolling paper" for a shim. But, not all brands of rolling paper are equal (Top is too thick, ZigZag is made from corn silk and much thinner than Top/others. I use ZigZag and Rizla+).

#3 Bed Temp for PLA: First layer = 55C, remaining layers=50C. If you remove the heat, the print can warp or become loose.

#4 Extrude Temp for PLA: The recommended Temps on the filament spools/spec's are only starting points. For some reason (perhaps blind leading blind) folks seem to fear raising extrude temp as if the machine will melt...
Example Temps I use (from three years of printing/testing): Note, these Temps are all 10 to 17 degs beyond package recommendations. With these settings, all surfaces look exvellent. Note: before retirement, was responsible for 32 injection molding machines (from 3 ton to 40 ton)...
eSun PLA - I print at 227C
Bam PLA - I print at 232C
Hatchbox PLA - I print at 237C (yes, I do see a diff between 235C and 237C. The difference is whether to top surface has gaps or not (given all else is equal).

I haven't used glue-stick on PLA in 6 months (I do use it for ABS).
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”