Grenack

Thin wall Overhangs

Hi

I've got a small question about thin wall overhangs. I try to print a shell model which is printed with a single perimeter. Due to the fact that I use a big layer-height there are big gaps on the overhangs and the highest point on the bridge bow because I can't close the profile with this layer height.

My target now to solve that problem is to use different processes with different layer-heights (small on the overhang) and big for the rest. In this concept I need to enable 1 Solid Top-Layer to close it properly. But it prints a solid top-layer at the end of the process. Is there a way to skip that top-layer on the end of the process?

Is there a better way to solve that problem?
CompoundCarl

Re: Thin wall Overhangs

If you have steep overhangs with a large layer height, this can happen. The next layer is shifted to much that you can get a gap between the perimeters on each layer. The only way to fix this is to use a lower layer height or edit the model to have less of an overhang (usually not an option). So I would say you're on the right track.

If you are using multiple processes, you can edit the top and bottom layers between processes. For example, if your first process goes from Z=0 to Z=10mm, then you could set the top solid layers to zero for that process. Then for the second process that goes from Z=10 to Z=20mm, set the BOTTOM solid layers to zero. This way you won't have any solid layers between processes.
Grenack

Re: Thin wall Overhangs

CompoundCarl wrote:If you have steep overhangs ..... layers between processes.
HI

Thank you for your answer ;). So I'm going to try it this way !

Best regards

Grenack

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”