Hello, what do you mean with Loops ?

Festus440

Re: Help me Calibrate

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 am

Sorry, they call it "skirt outlines".

raffo333

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 pm

OK, but this will help with wrap, what about dimensions accuracy ?
How can i achieve good precision ?
Regards
Raf

Festus440

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 pm

As jimc said:
<once you are getting nice clean prints then pull out the calipers

If your part is warped, the dimensions will not be correct. You will also get more shrinkage with 100% infill.
Work on getting clean, flat, straight walls and that the part remains firmly attached to the bed all around the outside edges.
Once you have that you may have to adjust the scale to get better accuracy but it should be closer than what you are getting.

You may want to go back to using PLA to start with. It has less shrinkage than ABS. (The part in the photo happens to be PLA.)
You mentioned printing on tape. There are lots of methods people use prepare their beds. I use blue painter's tape with the bed heater turned off. (For PLA.)
Attachments
IMAG0295.jpg

raffo333

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:59 am

So scaling is the only way with S3D ?
I mean, if i print two parts together that one should fit the other but they dont fit, if i change the scale for the print the problem persist as they both goin to be scaled

Raf

Festus440 wrote:As jimc said:
<once you are getting nice clean prints then pull out the calipers

If your part is warped, the dimensions will not be correct. You will also get more shrinkage with 100% infill.
Work on getting clean, flat, straight walls and that the part remains firmly attached to the bed all around the outside edges.
Once you have that you may have to adjust the scale to get better accuracy but it should be closer than what you are getting.

You may want to go back to using PLA to start with. It has less shrinkage than ABS. (The part in the photo happens to be PLA.)
You mentioned printing on tape. There are lots of methods people use prepare their beds. I use blue painter's tape with the bed heater turned off. (For PLA.)

Festus440

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:29 pm

>So scaling is the only way with S3D ?
No you can adjust flow rates and widths, etc. However your dimensions are way off. You should be a lot closer. If you are off by more than a couple tenths of a millimeter something else must be wrong.

raffo333

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Ok, can you point me to what should i check ? i am using the default rep1 profile with extr.multi.0.75 i didnt changed anything else ,tenps are 220/110
thanks
raf

Festus440

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't know anything about your printer. I can only tell you what works for me. I have a Leapfrog Creatr. Plus I've only been doing this a few months myself.
With that in mind, here is what I would suggest:

Go back to using PLA for now. ABS is more difficult to print.

Get some wide blue painters tape (3M brand if possible). Use that on your bed. Wipe if with some rubbing alcohol to make sure it is free of finger oil.
Turn the bed heater off. You don't need it with this method.

Set your extruder temperature to about 200C
I would start with the extusion multiplier set a 1.0
Use the default settings for everything else for now.

It is very important that the first layer squishes into the tape. It should look like solid plastic. If you see spaces between the extrusion lines you need to fix that first. There's two ways to do that. You can change the "First Layer Height" in the software. You're currently at 90% Go to 50% or lower if that's what it takes. Reduce that number until the first layer looks solid. If you can achieve that with the first layer height setting will need to adjust the either the bed, or the nozzles so that they are a little closer to the bed. See what your printer manual suggests.

I have attached the file for my calibration cube shown in the picture. (It has a brim already in the model).

If you do the above, get a pretty clean print, and the measurements are still off it may be that a firmware setting needs to be adjusted (steps per millimeter for each axis). I don't have any experience doing that (at least on these machines).
Attachments
20mm x 20mm x 5mm calibration cube with brim.STL
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

raffo333

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53 am

:? Something really strange is happening now, the extruder reaches the 200 temp and starts, and then immediately while is printing the temp decreases
in S3D i see in the temp settings the Temp identifier of the extruder is the same with the bed (TO) is this correct ?
Regards
Raf

raffo333

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:54 pm

ok, ive made some tests, and this is BAD, PLA as you told me, 1.0 Multi, but i also used the bed to 60c

I can see also some extruder problems .... and the dimensions are also OFF... :cry:
Ive made also a Makerware print for comparsion

SD3 Print
DSC_1782.JPG
Makerware Print 10% infill ( much worst print but closer dimensions )
DSC_1785.JPG
this is getting really frustrating ... :oops:

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”