jonsnow43

Top layers issues

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 am

Hello everybody,

I tried to print a calibration part, a 20mm box, and I saw a problem that I never saw on other parts I printed.

- On the left you have the box printed in 0.2mm layer (PLA) with 4 top solid layers (15% infill)
- In the middle 0.1mm layer with 7 top solid layers
- On the right 0.1mm layer with 5 top solid layers (always 15% infill)

the nozzle diameter is 0.4mm. I never touched other parameters between the 3 prints. I tried to improve the first layer heigth with 0.1mm layer but nothing changed (90 to 150%).

I reallly don't understand why I have those holes, it looks like the last layers are curved , is it the infill that is too low ? I already printed parts in 0.1mm layer and I don't meet that kind of problem but they had a low area on the top (figurines most of the time)

Thank you for your help !

kabali16

Re: Top layers issues

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 pm

This is a common quality issue called pillowing. Since you are printing with PLA, it is likely to happen if there is insufficient cooling. Make your your cooling fan is turned on to 100%. This also depends on the printer's cooling fan setup. For eg. the Ultimaker probably has one of the best cooling fan setup to blow air evenly on the part that is just laid down.

If cooling does not help, try adding more top solid layers. Like you have already seen, this issue will be noticeable with smaller layer heights.
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

pascal32

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm

I had similar issues when I first got my printer, adjusting infill to 30% resolved it for me, at the time I was running the left extruder with a fan, could be its not sufficient, not sure.

jonsnow43

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 am

Thank you very much for your advices and sorry for the time I took to answer !

Indeed my cooling fan is at 100% but I think he's not correctly heading the printed part (I have a Prusa i3).

Yes with more infill this problem will disappear, that's weird because with 0.2mm layer and the same infill, results are much better

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”