phil123456

how to export settings

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello,

I need to install simplify on a new ssd harddrive

What is the point of beeing able to export a +-10 lines firmware text file when one cannot export all the process settings

I found them in the registry in the form of xml data, tried to copy them, but regedit complains about empty lines
and once launching simplify, it seems it cannot read the modified xml in the registry

why does it even store these in the registry

how can I manage to export/import my numerous settings ?

I simply cannot migrate to a brand new pc just becos of that, still printing on my old pc cos nothing works on the freshly installed s3D

thanks

brian442

Re: how to export settings

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Just go to File > Export FFF Profile. Export the ones you need, then transfer the .fff files to a new computer and do a File > Import FFF Profile.

phil123456

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:52 pm

damned I feel so dumb, cant believe I missed that option
thanks ;-)

phil123456

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:25 am

something strange

last time choosing the firmware changed the size of the bed in the preview

not this time, the home position is not right either, I never set those manualy to fit my printer's configuration

am I missing something ?

kabali16

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:27 pm

phil123456 wrote:something strange

last time choosing the firmware changed the size of the bed in the preview

not this time, the home position is not right either, I never set those manualy to fit my printer's configuration

am I missing something ?
Why are you changing the firmware settings? this should not be touched unless you have a specific need. If you accidentally changes something, make sure to reload the profile
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

jmzimmerle

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 pm

I have a pseudo-similar issue here. I exported my FFF file and imported it to another machine but none of my processes came over when I imported the FFF file - am I missing something here?

brian442

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:31 am

jmzimmerle wrote:I exported my FFF file and imported it to another machine but none of my processes came over when I imported the FFF file - am I missing something here?
When you export your FFF profile, you only export a single profile. So then it will only import that single profile.

Remember that any print settings you want to permanently save should be saved as PROFILES and not processes. The processes are temporary and will change depending on how your are printing your part. So if you have lots of processes that you are saving to store different settings, then you're probably using the wrong system. You want to save those settings as profiles like they explain here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7HFPY1wog

ha1f3mpty

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm

This is for a Windows machine, I do not have a solution for any other operating system.

I know this is an old post but it didn't have a solution. I was messing around and found some other posts talking about this registry location, again not marked as a solution to backing up Simplify3D settings or migrating between systems, so here it is. First off if you don't understand what comes next then you probably don't want to mess around with this because if you mess up the registry then you can mess up your machine. You want to open the registry editor, find this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D and export it. Then just merge to your system after bare metal restore or to another system.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”