pilotjunky

Raft separation

Hi,

I have purchased Simplify3D and have been giving it a go with my Replicator 2. Generally quite satisfied. One big/major disappointment is the raft separation from the part when complete... it's a bit of a mess. I run the identical part from Makerware and the Raft separates beautifully.

Any tips on adjusting for better separation of raft from part?

Thanks
Rich.
vOidward

Re: Raft separation

Yeah I found the raft adhesion to be quite solid for my prints and nearly impossible to separate cleanly.
Not the biggest of issues, Can just sand the bottom if necessary, but an area of possible improvement still.
pilotjunky

Any plausible suggestions for improvement on the configuration side?

Thanks.
Rich
tri-lite

Have you ever tried using a brim rather than a raft? A brim can be defined as a skirt with ZERO offset, allowing it to attach to your part and stabilize it. The Brim Setting is in the LAYER tab.

To create a brim, enter a zero offset and then as many outlines as you want (I have 20 outlines shown on my part). I use brims for delicate spindly parts as well as things like chainmail bracelets. Brims basically crack right off the finished part leaving minimal cleanup.
Brim feature found in Layer tab
Brim feature found in Layer tab
I think you basically have to experiment to find the best solution - it might be supports, rafts or brims. At least there are options!
Attachments
Brim feature in Preview mode
Brim feature in Preview mode
Festus440

My typical reason for wanting to use a raft is when there is going to be a lot of support material placed on the bed. It usually doesn't stick to the bed very well because it is so sparce. KissSlicer puts a solid layer of plastic only under the support material if it touches the bed. A really nice feature.

I haven't tried this yet :D but it might work. You could offset your part a couple of millimeters in the z-axis and then add support so that you remove the part from the support instead of the raft.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
tri-lite

Festus440, that's a really creative suggestion! I have not tried that method, but it sure looks plausible.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”