rwig

Suggestion on best setting for thin wall print

"When I select "Allow gap fill when necessary", my print comes out fine with filled-in gaps. But because my print is made up of lots of thin walls, my printer shakes back and forth on the table while filling in many of these gaps.

When I select "Only use perimeters for thin walls", my printer moves much more smoothly and quieter as it is just drawing the lines everywhere - with far less jerking back and forth. But the problem is it doesn't fill in many small gaps.

I found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6653&p=28874&hilit= ... lls#p28874

And Brian said a workaround: "you could go to the Advanced tab, and set the thin wall behavior to ""only use perimeters for thin walls"". Then you won't have any gap fill, but you need to make sure the software can fit another set of perimeters. So if the walls are 1.2mm thick, then you could set the extrusion width to 0.3mm, which will allow 2 sets of perimeters to fit (4x0.3mm = 1.2mm)"

My only problem is I want my walls to be thinner, like 0.6mm. I tried his idea out of curiosity with 0.15mm extrusion width and he is right, it looks great in the mesh view with the lines and also the small gaps filled in.

But 0.15mm is far too low and it won't adhere to the plate at that low.

Any suggestion how I could make this one work? Or just what would you suggest is the best setting for my case?

Thank you in advance
brian442

Re: Suggestion on best setting for thin wall print

Here's 2 things I would try

1) I think the speed of the gap fill is controlled by the "solid infill underspeed" setting on the Other tab, so if you want to print that fill slower, just lower that setting. That way you will still get nicely filled in gaps, but without trying to print the fill so fast.

2) If your walls are 0.6mm thick, you will probably have better luck using a 0.3mm extrusion width instead of 0.15mm. I always seem to have better results when I have a wider extrusion width, rather than a very narrow one.
rwig

Re: Suggestion on best setting for thin wall print

Wow, I didn't expect 'the' Brian I quoted from that other thread. Thank you. I had slowed all my speeds down, but will now just try slowing just the infill speed. And I'll try the other suggestion tomorrow. Thanks again, Ryan.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”