danlad1631

Vertical honeycomb infill?

Hi,

How can I get the honeycomb infill to be vertical?

If I print a cube for example and look down on it, the honeycomb structure is visable. If I looked at the box sideways, you wouldn't know it was honeycomb.

Hope that makes sense?

Is this something that needs to be done in modelling software?

Thanks
brian442

Re: Vertical honeycomb infill?

It you want the honeycomb cells to be visible from the side, then yes, I think you would need to model it that way in the CAD package
danlad1631

Ok thanks for the reply. I've been trying to workout how to do it in solidworks, but I'm not getting very far.
Leeway

In Fusion 360, I would probably model a single one and then create a pattern. Then trim to fit inside the boundary after it is placed.
Lee
arhi

danlad1631 wrote:Ok thanks for the reply. I've been trying to workout how to do it in solidworks, but I'm not getting very far.
I think the "model it that way" was meant to tell you to orient your print so that the plane you want hex fill to be visible is parallel to the print plate, not that you model the hex infill yourself in a cad :D

note that if you want to print hex infill that's parallel and not normal to the print bed plane it will have to create a whole lot of bridges (all infill will be bridges) and that's slow to print and is not very strong

There is infill type called "3d honeycomb" or something like that, unfortunately it is not available in s3d, that creates "diamond" shape infill so you have "hexagon's in 3 dimensions" ... I really hope s3d implements that infill type soon
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”