SHoutzager

Check this minimum fill system from MB

https://www.makerbot.com/media-center/2 ... ot-minfill

Simpliy3d should have this featrue. I know it can be done in Simplify but takes a number of steps to accomplish.

Steven Houtzager
horst.w

Re: Check this minimum fill system from MB

Sure, nice to have!
But really needed?
To minimice infill, I think no.
To make possible an inside-support, I think yes. But there are mostly constructive solutions possible doing the same effect.

My ViaCAD program allows to cut out a section from inside of a solid body and so it is possible to create thin walls like support. But never needed for my objects.

Regards
horst.w, GER

This pic shows what I mean:
Clear! for a simple cylinder a function like ViaCAD's CutSection is not needed, to draw this ThinWall ist easy. But there are also existing complicated sculpts where a cut through is not possible or to difficult to draw.
Cut Section.jpg
wfcook

I'm not to impressed with this actually. It seems to be a way of producing very weak parts. I'd rather see cubic infill
Nandox7

I actually would welcome this.
It may not be something to use for every single part but for doing quick prototypes.
Actually that is exactly what they mention.

"As we’ve learned from professional users, not all prints need to be durable, dense, or heavy. When surface quality and print speed are more important, MinFill is a far more efficient option — especially for prints with a large internal volume."
dkightley

Just to illustrate how opinions can differ...I disagree with both of the last two posters. I believe that S3D should address where it fails to do what it is supposed to do...... way before adding any fancy infill techniques.

No slicer should extrude into fresh air or produce an object deliberately with bits missing! Or only half do bridging. Unfortunately, S3D does!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
upsm

All new infill types are welcome in my opinion, strong, weak, fast, slow.. there can never be too much infill types, but I agree with dkightley, there are many serious flaws I'd love to see fixed (top/bottom handling between processes, solid layer to infill transition on edges, proper bridging and many more) before I'd invest energy into new infill types.
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
brian442

This would create ridiculously weak parts since they would have no sideways structure. So you save printing time, but the parts would fail under the slightest load.
upsm

brian442 wrote:This would create ridiculously weak parts since they would have no sideways structure. So you save printing time, but the parts would fail under the slightest load.
For rapid prototyping that's very often acceptable!
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
3Drasle

dkightley wrote:Just to illustrate how opinions can differ...I disagree with both of the last two posters. I believe that S3D should address where it fails to do what it is supposed to do...... way before adding any fancy infill techniques.

No slicer should extrude into fresh air or produce an object deliberately with bits missing! Or only half do bridging. Unfortunately, S3D does!
I totally agree, but are S3D team still working on updates and fixes?
/Michael, Denmark
brian442

3Drasle wrote:are S3D team still working on updates and fixes?
Yes, they've already posted many times on this forum saying they're working on another big release right now

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”