Harry_D

Layer thickness & first layer height.

Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi all,

I tried to search the forum for my question below, but failed to find it - my apologies if I ask something that has been answered xx times already. :oops:

I come from a Repetier / Cura slicer environment & S3D is quite new to me. I recently ran into something that I am probably misunderstanding: hope you can point me to the right direction.

In a printer's profile file in S3D, we have the opportunity to create multiple print quality settings - this is connected, among other parameters, to layer thickness.

The profile has a Primary Layer Height field & then allows modifications to the first layer settings by providing percentage adder fields, such as "First Layer Height" (in %).

Here's the thing, that's puzzling me:

If I create a "fast" layer for - say - 0,30 mm layer thickness, the modification factor for First Layer Height can be 100%. A thickness of 0.30 for a first layer is fine for me.
But if I then create a "fine" layer for - say - 0,10 mm layer thickness, I'd like to increase the modification factor for First Layer Height to something like 300%, meaning that I'd end up with a 1st layer of 0.30 mm for better adhesion.

But the First Layer height modification percentage applies overall, to all quality sets in the profile file. So, whether you'd select 0,10 (= "fine") or 0,30 mm (= "fast") 1st layer configuration - the modification factor for the first layer is in all cases the same value.

So, if I add First Layer Height = 300% for layer 0.10mm (fine) setting - I'd have my 0.30 mm 1st layer: that's perfect for me. However, if I then select 0.30 mm layer (fast) setting, I would end up with a first layer of 0.90 mm - which my 0.40 mm nozzle can't handle.

I'm probably looking at this in the wrong manner, right? Is there a way, I could have my 1st layer as 0.30 mm in all cases? Or is the idea to have a thicker 1st layer a thing of the past & can I leave that thought behind...?

Cheers,
Harry.

brian442

Re: Layer thickness & first layer height.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm

You can always add the first layer height setting to all of your quality choices. Then that setting will be changed along with the layer height.

There's lots of threads on the forum about how to do this, but basically you just go to File > Export FFF Profile, open that file in a text editor, and then add the <firstLayerHeightPercentage> tag to each of the <autoConfigureQuality> sections at the bottom.

Harry_D

Thu May 11, 2017 2:33 am

Thanks, much appreciated - I'll try that! 8-)

Harry_D

Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 am

Perfect, seems to work like a charm! The values show up in the software just perfectly.

I'll do a test print soon, but it looks like this is exactly what I needed! :D

Thanks again!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”