Jbc

Hollow part

I need to print a hollow part. Vase mode wont allow supports so that leaves me printing with zero infill.
When printing I end up with the last layer(s) covering the top (I don't want it covered). I can cut it away but hope there is another solution.

Adding a new process wont help as a top layer is always printed (I can't eliminate printing a top layer as it affects other areas of the printed part).

Is there a way to print in vase mode with supports or print with zero infill and no top layers in the last few layers of the print job?

The picture shows the one layer printed on the top. The larger open tube (I stopped the print as I don't want it covered) is how I want the part printed.
Attachments
Need Hollow.JPG
dkightley

Re: Hollow part

If the top is perfectly flat, set Top Solid layers to zero.....and see if that gives the results you want.

If not.......please post your factory file so others can see what you've got at present and can recreate what you're trying to do.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Jbc

dkightley wrote:If the top is perfectly flat, set Top Solid layers to zero.....and see if that gives the results you want.
I can't eliminate printing a top layer as it affects other areas of the printed part.

How do I post the factory file (I'll start searching)?
Jbc

Got it.
Attachments
Basket Cage 3.4 2% Casting Set Test.factory
(346.8 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Jbc

One other thing that would be slick is to allow support inside the part when printing vase mode or hollow.

I hope you're able to help with previous needs.
Jbc

I found an 'OK' work around.
I added a process with no walls, top or bottom with only infil starting and stopping where I needed support.

The whole thing will be mostly hollow.
ArgyBear

I used MeshMixer to hollow out items that will need internal support. S3D then creates the support inside and out as needed.
Jbc

Is S3D making the internal support or have you made a hole in your part so it was treated as an external wall?

If not isn't that just infill?
Id like to add support inside where I choose.

I would like to hear more about your part.
Thanks for the response.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”