vinny1575

Help with quality.

Ignore the missing head. Any ideas what settings I could change to get rid of the little ridges and ripples?
Attachments
photo.JPG
jimc

Re: Help with quality.

Hard to tell but over extrusion could cause that. Be sure your filament dia is set correct and then turn the multiplier down a bit.
vinny1575

jimc wrote:Hard to tell but over extrusion could cause that. Be sure your filament dia is set correct and then turn the multiplier down a bit.
Thank you. I have made sure my extrusion diameter was set correctly. I've put the extrusion multiplier through its courses. This is the best print I've gotten.
jimc

ok how about some more info. what type of plastic, printer and maybe post your fff so we can see what you got going on
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

vinny1575 wrote:
jimc wrote:Hard to tell but over extrusion could cause that. Be sure your filament dia is set correct and then turn the multiplier down a bit.
Thank you. I have made sure my extrusion diameter was set correctly. I've put the extrusion multiplier through its courses. This is the best print I've gotten.
Make sure the belts or whatever used to move the extruder and/or platform are tight. Make sure any belt pulleys, gears, etc., on shafts (especially belt pulleys etc. on stepper motor shafts) have their setscrews tight and there's no slop or ability to move independent of stepper motor rotation.

Dale
JoeJ

Post your settings. Can't really tell much just from the picture.
vinny1575

Its a Printrbot Simple. I am beginning to think this is a Banding issue.
Attachments
Printrbot Simple.fff
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Karl_Williams

It could be z-axis wobble.
jimc

on the printer side of things you should look to see that all the pulleys are tight ton the shafts of you steppers. loose pullys or belts will cause that. i looked at the fff and nothing jumped out at me but since i dont have your printer i dont really know where some of those settings should be. only thing that struck me as a possible issue, but not the cause of your problem, is that your nozzle is a .4 and you have your width a a .4 as well. that may be fine for your printer i dont know but usually you want the width at least a little larger that the nozzle. maybe .45-.5. you could end up with layers that are not bonded too great and infill that looks a little broken apart.
JoeJ

Those settings all look pretty good to me actually. Acceptable temps, not trying to print too fast, correct extrusion widths, etc.

Is it possible this is a mechanical issue? Back in the day when I was using homemade printers, this type of banding was a constant challenge. If any piece of the structure isn't perfectly rigid, the nozzle would shift ever-so-slightly, which would cause one layer to bulge out slightly. It looked exactly like the picture you posted. The printrbots use a lot of long cantilevered motion systems too, so that seems like a definite possibility.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”