mathisyourfriend

Re: My M2 profiles are on Thingiverse

Thanks for those settings. My M2 is ~1 year old and I've had excellent prints with your .fff (even with students being difficult around the printer). The temp difference was more like 25 degrees less (Makergear green PLA) but I seem to print at ~5 degrees less than most posts I see here and on the other groups,

Off topic I know but could you post your stuff to one of the many other sites devoted to this wonderful educational tool/time sink of ours? I'm not endorsing anyone else I'd just like to move away from that site/company.

Yes, I still download models from there. I'd like a good alternative.

Joe
ebola5114

jimc wrote:all the m2 shipped in i will guess the past 2-3 mos have the v3b extruder. its the same as the v3a except it uses a heater block instead of the old style ceramic coated heater core. if your extruder has an aluminum block above the nozzle you have the v3b. the temp setting requite 20 deg hotter with this because of the location change of the thermistor. the new one has it in the block, the old one its taped to the side of the nozzle with kapton. v3b and abs is usually 240-255. this gives you a true 220-235 nozzle temp.
Thanks Jimc, I have v3a definitely.
Anyway, I use the ABS profiles that Rsilvers shared and it's perfect ! (giving true 245º ; only tested with 1 ABS filament spool purchased with the M2), but with PLA, I had to lower the temp to 190º as 225º is too much.

Thanks,
regards.
rsilvers

I used to print PLA at 185 on my previous printer but with this M2 even 220 is marginal and needs a lot of clamp force to always extrude.
jimc

yeah i really wish there was an updated marlin temp table for the v3b.
rsilvers

Among other strange things - why include a $25 roll of Kapton tape with each printer when a 30 cent Elmer's glue stick on bare glass works better?
ebola5114

rsilvers wrote:Among other strange things - why include a $25 roll of Kapton tape with each printer when a 30 cent Elmer's glue stick on bare glass works better?
Well, for me that I'm from Argentina, was nice to get that kapton tape included in the price, in a way to have all the kit to print "out of the box". I think is the most common accesorie to print ABS, giving a glue stick perhaps would make the combo look "cheaper" (not sure if it's the correct word...)

About Elmer's glue, here we have UHU Stic... I think it's the same thing...

Why do you prefer glue stick vs kapton tape (beyond price)?
Is glue stick more clean and bubble free on surface than Kapton tape ? What about glue stick vs hair spry ?

thanks in advance,
have a nice day!
rsilvers

Glue stick on bare glass sticks better than Kapton and washes off with water.

For ABS:

First choice is glue stick.

Second choice is ABS juice.

Third choice is Kapton tape.

Hairspray is messier than glue stick as it goes all over.

You should try that glue stick.

For PLA I prefer masking tape.
tmoore

The glue stick rocks. I was usng ABS juice and I've switched. Great tip.

I run the program to the point that the initial skirt is done, stop the print, apply just enough glue stick to hold, peel off the starting skirt and restart the program.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”