BBoyJmE

Tempted to Buy, But can S3D Do this?

Hi all,

I am VERY impressed with what I am seeing with S3D. Before I buy, I wonder if S3D can do 2 things.

1:
Can S3D get rid of "air pockets" in 3D models? By that I mean having a tube like a straw (that has thickness) intersect 2 rectangle cubes, will the open area of the Tube print hollow?

Technically it should, and it would in Cura, but I want to know if S3D is clever enough to know that that area is inaccessible to the open world, and it should be printed as "in fill". This would be amazing for my project that has many shelled pieces that are intersecting and Boolean would crash or take too long.
3 Rectangles intersecting a Cylindrical Tube. Air pocket is between the 2 horizontal ones.
3 Rectangles intersecting a Cylindrical Tube. Air pocket is between the 2 horizontal ones.
Air pocket created, any way to print this solid as there is no access to it?
2:
Can S3D print each process as a totally new print? so bottom half prints, I clear the bed, load up part 2?
Than being said, can I "Dice" models into build plate parts?, say I am building something 3x the build plate volume, Can S3D dice it into 3 parts that would assemble into 1 large oversized part? This is a DREAM :)

Honestly, I would love a 3DS MAX or MAYA plugin that has slicing planes criss crossing that are set tothe build volume you want. and you can rotate or bring the slice planes closer to each other to get something like the attacked image (Lamborghini Front End)
3DS MAX Slice, Shell, Slice, Cap Holes Modifiers used. But you can see shells from different parts will intersect, sometimes multiple times, leaving air pockets. This is where this would help out.
3DS MAX Slice, Shell, Slice, Cap Holes Modifiers used. But you can see shells from different parts will intersect, sometimes multiple times, leaving air pockets. This is where this would help out.
Cheers!

:)
brian442

Re: Tempted to Buy, But can S3D Do this?

1) Yup, I actually do this quite frequently. There's a separate option in S3D that allows you to print hollowed out objects as solid instead, so you can customize it and turn this option on when needed.

2) Yes, it can do this too. I printed a tall part last weekend in 3 sections using multiple processes in Simplify3D. You can choose which processes you want to print, so if you have 3 setup, you can easily print only 1 of them as a completely separate print, then clear the bed after the print finishes, and start a second process as a completely separate print.
BBoyJmE

brian442 wrote:1) Yup, I actually do this quite frequently. There's a separate option in S3D that allows you to print hollowed out objects as solid instead, so you can customize it and turn this option on when needed.

2) Yes, it can do this too. I printed a tall part last weekend in 3 sections using multiple processes in Simplify3D. You can choose which processes you want to print, so if you have 3 setup, you can easily print only 1 of them as a completely separate print, then clear the bed after the print finishes, and start a second process as a completely separate print.
Wow... Okay I am sold! Thanks for the reply, that sounds too good to be true! haha. Manual supports, processes for slowing or speeding up prints, printing processes at different layer heights, all that is just a wealth of features I could only dream of.

Next series of prints, I will buy and trial it. I am sure to get hooked.

Thanks again! :)
BBoyJmE

One other question, Cura just added "Create mold" Feature, I wonder if S3D Can do this.
And another thing, I am aware of proccesses being used to slow prints from 1 layer to the other etc. But can you slow down prints in regions defined by say a Cube? Not a biggie, but would be helpful to further speed up prints for those parts where yo might have a tiny detail here and there you want to focus on.
brian442

I don't use the mold feature much, but I would assume you could just as easily do that in a CAD package. Just boolean subtract the model from the mold body.

For the slow down within a region thing, you can always break up your part into multiple STL files for each region, then use different processes in S3D for each region. I've used this a few times before and it's pretty easy to do.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”