RoboDLC

Re: My ABS prints break easily

I watched a few videos, checked out a bunch of posts here, and spent two hours fiddling with settings and looking at the preview screen to see what they did. That preview is alone is worth the cost of the software IMO!
I feel that I have mastered this and no longer fear supports. I also no longer need to use a raft when using support, the alternating angle ability locks towers together well enough that a raft is not needed. BTW, I too have found that the -45,45,45,45,45 gives an enormously strong support matrix with only a 30% support infill. The only "bad" thing about is that they can be a challenge to remove! I'll deal with it if at the end of a 10 hour print I have a perfect model.

For the life of me I cannot think of a place where I would want a solid layer at my separation point. I am sure that there is a reason for it or that option would not be there.

Thanks for the support guys!

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
upsm

Re: My ABS prints break easily

RoboDLC wrote:For the life of me I cannot think of a place where I would want a solid layer at my separation point. I am sure that there is a reason for it or that option would not be there.
it's not very intuitive but two solid layers one on top of another printed with proper temperature and cooling will give cleanest separation then anything else :). Simplify3D is not offering these temp settings (not sure why, it's weird) but uses a "separation layer" between the support and object that also works (since the first layer of the object is just "layed on to the smooth support layer" and not "squished into it" the layer adhesion is not good and support is easily removed. The other solution is print a hot, solid, smooth layer of support that will adhere good to support structure, let it cool, then print another layer (without separation) on top of it "colder then normal" as a first object layer. Since the support was cooled and you are printing new layer cold the layer adhesion is minimal, then you print second layer of the object hotter so it adheres to first object layer good so you have good strong structure that is your object and good strong structure that is your support and very bad layer adhesion between support and object that's easy to remove :D
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”