LHawes

Re: 4.0 is out!

Must say the feature list is pretty impressive. Nice work.
upsm

Looking at the release notes and quickly clicking trough the 4.0.0 I'd say everything except the open API thing that was really important for me is implemented (if I figure out how to make dual extrusion work on single extruder :D but afaik it is possible). So if everything works as advertised - kudos!
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
wirlybird

The list is impressive but I won't hold my breath!! I am however really looking forward to seeing it in action and hoping for the best!
upsm

wirlybird wrote:The list is impressive but I won't hold my breath!! I am however really looking forward to seeing it in action and hoping for the best!
To be honest "adding these features" even if the solution is not 100% perfect is IMO a huge step forward as fixing and smoothing those issues with examples from the wild is lot simpler then just ignoring the issues completely. So I'm thrilled these are the features they added. I'm sad API was not on the list as that would allow ppl to develop addons that can solve most of the "small" features from. Anyhow this is worth of major version number bump :D
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
wirlybird

Agreed. Some of the stuff is going to be good.
fiekemike

Installed 4.0 on Linux OpenSuse Leap 4.2 without any problems. Checked out most of the new features. Provides al lot of improvements and very useful options. Especially the improved flexibility in settings for support, infill and the ability to modify variable layer settings. Also the ability to define the print order of objects is extremely useful.
Thanks for the hard work, guys!

(one additional suggestion: make visible if a process-option is applicable only to the current process or if it applies to all processes)
TMeyer

Hi,

thanks to S3D team for finally releasing a new update - great!
My request (brim for support) was implemented - great!

I miss: Variable layer height - not great :-(
smeagollum

Agreed. Quite a few very good new features, but variable layer height is unfortunately not one of them. The new wizard sure makes splitting a process easier, but it is not a replacement for proper dynamic layer height. And despite that the release docs say that S3D will smoothly transition between processes, it doesn't always do so. Just look at Joe Larsons video about just that:

https://youtu.be/Pqa5GElOYbQ?t=8m51s

Another thing I miss is better customization for vertical support separation. It should be possible to specify that in millimeters, not in whole layers. If you print at 0.3 mm, the minimum support separation is thus 0.3 mm (1 layer), which is often too much. It is possible to select 0 layers, but then it will be fused, so not usable.
C_Birch81

Shame the build time still seems to be well out by a good 20% still.
JanaBee

Were Default Feed Rate and Maximum Feed Rate ever added from the earlier forum post in feature request? I'm having a hard time getting my filament to extrude properly. It's always over exuding and I have no idea how to fix it in S3D...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”