stonecoldfx

S3D and Ultimaker2+ (Gcode Issues)

Hello there

I have been using S3D since April 17 and I really love it.

So I recommended it to a Friend and finally he purchased it. He is the type of Guy not having a lot technical or Software knowledge. He's owning an Ultimaker2+ and used Cura in the past to slice things.

He used the wizard and added the Ultimaker2+ Profile to S3D.

Now he has following issues when using S3D.

When he slices a Modell and like to print it via SD-Card, the printer has a warning "this File will override machine settings from the slicer".

I googled a bit and found out, that the Ultimaker2+ Series has a "Noob :D User-friendly Firmware which controls things like Temperatur filament etc via machine settings. So there is no Start or Endgcode. Well, i told him to just click continue and be aware if the printer makes any stupid moves.
But alls it's doing heat up the Bed and then nothing happens.

I guess that's a Problem of the UltiGcode Flavour (What is used in Cura) but in Simplify there are no such Options under the Firmware Type Settings.
In his Ultimaker2+ Profile, It's set up to Marlin/Repetier/Sprinter.

He sent me 2 Gcode Files (1 Sliced with S3D another with Cura) I compared them a bit and like I wrote above there is no Start or Endgcode in the Cura one as it's done by the Firmware. If I had that issue I would experiment by editing the Gcode (generated from S3D) and I am sure I could get it running. But I don't wanna try the risk to send him edited G-codes to mess up his printer since he's not a 3D-Nerd like me.

There are even some other minor differences in those G-code files.

Well, maybe some other Ultimaker 2+ User can help my Friend.

Greez Steven
catohagen

Re: S3D and Ultimaker2+ (Gcode Issues)

You should redirect him to Ultimaker forums for help.
Basicly he needs to start cura, disable the Ulticode stuff and enable reprap/sprinter, then the start-stop gcode will show in cura.
Copy and paste this into S3D start-stop gcode.
LePaul

catohagen wrote:You should redirect him to Ultimaker forums for help.
Basicly he needs to start cura, disable the Ulticode stuff and enable reprap/sprinter, then the start-stop gcode will show in cura.
Copy and paste this into S3D start-stop gcode.
That override warning is just warning that the gcode will override the Ulticode settings ....such as it will not use the material info in the firmware for PLA or whatever you have loaded. Just hit OK and continue.

If he ever opts to use an Octoprint or wants to go around Ultimaker's Ulticode in general, he can go into Cura , "Manage Printers" and "Machine Settings", the GCode Flavor is Ultimaker 2 by default. He can select "RepRap/Marlin" and use that.
xile6

The start code i use is

G1 X15 Y15 F4000 ;move X/Y to front of printer
G1 Z35 F9000 ;move the platform to 35mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F300 E30 ;extrude 30 mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F6000
G1 X25 Y25 Z10
G1 F9000

at the bottom in "additional terminal commandes for post processing"
{PREPEND "G1 X15 Y15 F4000\n"}
{PREPEND "G28\n"}

This will add Homing XYZ, then moving the hotend to the front left conner and start heating.
Once its heated it will extrude 35mm of filament (to purge the nozzle), Zero out the extruder then start printing.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”