SHoutzager

Measuring the distance of a shell on one layer

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

I print out parts for people and get all kinds of different shapes. I want to be able to tell the distance that a nozzle moves on one layer. This will help me determine price. Is that possible? :}

darKing

Re: Measuring the distance of a shell on one layer

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Uhm, S3D already tells you how many meters of filament is needed to print sth. with these settings. You can also set a price for the filament, and it will tell you the costs... What exactly do you want to achieve, other than that?

SHoutzager

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm

I want to see how adding holes to a model affects filament usage and overall print time. The overall estimates are usually off but that is about as good as a slicer can do.

darKing

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:41 am

Hm I haven't measured the real consumption of filament vs. what S3D estimates. but since you can specify width and density for every filament, I think the calculation of Filament Consumption in S3D is more reliable than the estimation of printing time. Did you measure it?

SHoutzager

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 am

Not yet. My clients are adding holes to lower print volume but this adds more edges. Edges print slower than infill so I think adding holes to models is a loss for me.

Rebekah_harper

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am

hiya,

I have to do similar and so far I haven't come across print times that are less than actual print times. so I am always covered.
volume of material i think is pretty spot on. it's based on the amount extruded so I am pretty confident that it will wither equal or just a little more than actual so again I am covered.

my prices have 5% for the unforeseen and then 10% for some form of profit margin.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”